need help with setting the governor or how does it work?

hello, i have a tecumseh model H35-457 66Y 3.5 hp mator and need help with getting the throttle to work right, i have all the correct spring and governor lever, but the problem is that the throttle stays wide open now, it wont go back to idle speed, what makes the governor lever go back so it pulls the carb shut to idle again?? is it with the governor lever on the bottom and how its set? got a almost brand new manco mini bike just need to get it running right with the throttle otherwise it runs great by hand hope somebody can help thanks so much keith

Post a picture, that would help us. :thumbsup: If the govenor hasen't been messed with, leave it alone. Like Rob said, could just be a spring. If you messed with the govenor adjustment, you will have to reset it.

toomanytoys

Are you talking about when the engine is off? All my engines when off the governor pills the throttle full open. Then when it starts it closes.

Post a picture, that would help us. :thumbsup: If the govenor hasen't been messed with, leave it alone. Like Rob said, could just be a spring. If you messed with the govenor adjustment, you will have to reset it.
yes i messed with goverrnor how do you set it again i see eon the post belwo your that if you run the motor it will go to idle?? havent tried this, have to set governor first:shrug:

See if I remember this right. Loosen the screw for the govenor and push it all the way to the right. That means the throttle will be all the way open. Then tighten the screw back up. The throtle should resume to the closed position with the arm adjusted properly:thumbsup: Hope that made sense. Thats with the engine off.

MB165

which way does the governor shaft exiting the block turn to make the throttle go wide open? now loosen the clamp and hold the linkage so the carb is wide open, at the same time turn the governor shaft and turn it the same way the throttle goes wide open, once it stops tighten the clamp. this can be used on any engine. don't force the shaft just light pressure if its not slotted for a screwdriver use pliers on it.

don't be too concerned with it not being at idle when its off

MB165 is spot on. It's static governor adjustment 101
Since I now see it is a H35 WOT SHOULD be to the right so you would need to rotate the little rod with the flat end coming outta the block clockwise as he said while holding the throttle wide open-than tighten the screw. :thumbsup: