Need help with wiring coil to points o briggs.

Have a 80202 briggs 3hp that I am trying to fix. It wasn't getting spark so I was learning about points. noticed when I got it there were 3 little wires coming off the coil. they weren't connected to anything. and there was another cord coming out of the points compartment. let me know how I can wire everything properly. I know the cord with the ring is a ground, just not sure about the other 2. pt2.jpg pts.jpg

If the "points wire" goes to the points and the "ground" is grounded then where does the coil wire lead to? I thought that the last wire(the red one) was maybe the points wire since I didn't see any other wire going out of the points area. I was having a hard time finding a coil for this. I heard you can convert a pointd motor to magneto and use a totally different coil. COuld anyone give me pointers on which coil I should buy if I want to do that?

Last edited:
The coil wire is the spark plug wire. That coil fit Briggs engines for about 20 years. I have a couple sitting in my scrap pile right now. Any shop that has a few old mower engines sitting around will have one.