Need measurement & ??

dogfoot

Hello group,
I am modifying my Baja MB200. I am putting a 212 motor on it with floor boards and a crash bar. I want to put a TAV2 on it if I can figure out how to fit everything. I can’t finish the crash bar until I mount the floor boards to get the clearance correct.
All that being said, how wide is the TAV2 cover in the front? How far does the cover stick out from edge of the motor?
Also, is there a vertical adapter for the air cleaner? I mocked up the 212 with 1” risers and would not be able to remove the air cleaner. I don’t want the straight out style.
One more question concerning the gas tank. Can I swap out the gas tank off the old motor (196 factory Baja) and bolt it up to the 212?
The pictures are with the old motor.
Thanks for any help - Dog 91689CA3-D7FC-46E2-85B1-8FD4A5FC8171.jpeg CD67D8E7-2E05-4BDF-BF02-0116C06991EC.jpeg 8FB74497-8442-47D1-89F0-877407688CA5.jpeg

Steve73

If you want everything to fit you may need to get a stage 1 kit on the motor and use the filter you don't want to use, but need to in order for everything to fit and work right. That's what my buddy did to his bike. 1000007335.jpg

If you don't want to raise the engine 1", you can trim the backing plate for the TAV. That way you may still be able to use the stock air filter assembly. I ran a TAV on a DB30 I had and was only using an adapter plate for a 212 due to the custom tank I had mounted. I didn't have space to raise the engine much more. With that being said, I haven't messed around with the bike you have at all, so this may not work.

Could be worth looking into and trimming the plate won't mess anything up if it doesn't give you enough clearance. The first pic shows how much I trimmed off compared to a stock backing plate.

Attachments

SAS289

I'm wondering why you wouldn't do the engine and TAV2 first, then build around it with your crash bar and footrests?

The measurement I see with the standard torque converter cover is 5 1/8".

If the engine pictured is a 196 you may have to get a non hemi Predator 212 for the 196 tank to fit. Besides the 196's that came on the Baja's and non hemi 212, I know of no other engine that has a block with those tank mounts.

You may want to verify this from others. I will never get a Predator 212 but have seen enough pictures of them to tell the difference. If I see a picture of a Predator 212 that doesn't show the rocker cover, I can still tell if it's hemi or non hemi by what tank mounts it has.

dogfoot

SAS289, I just finished the back half of the bike and wanted to do something while I was making a decision on the TAV2. That is why stopped on the floorboards & front crash bar. My 212 is a non-hemi.
If I can trim the backing plate like Strigoi as opposed to 1” risers, I think I will go for TAV2. I have other parts to make to keep me busy while I wait on the TAV.
Strigoi, what did you use to trim the backing plate?
Thanks for all the feedback - Dog

SAS289, I just finished the back half of the bike and wanted to do something while I was making a decision on the TAV2. That is why stopped on the floorboards & front crash bar. My 212 is a non-hemi.
If I can trim the backing plate like Strigoi as opposed to 1” risers, I think I will go for TAV2. I have other parts to make to keep me busy while I wait on the TAV.
Strigoi, what did you use to trim the backing plate?
Thanks for all the feedback - Dog
The back plate is only aluminum, hacksaw, bandsaw, sawzall, will work fine. Would not recommend a grinder cut off wheel.