need more speed

i just finished putting together my rupp continental. i put a 8hp briggs on it but i would like it to go faster. its running off the jackshaft so i was thinking about gearing it a different way but i wasnt sure. i already ported the block when i rebuilt it (back to stock) and no governer . does anybody have any ideas to what i can do to get more speed? its got plenty of torque

i got a nine horse kawi motor and i could prob use the carb of that and how long does a staight pipe have to be to have the correct back pressure for the exhaust valve not to burn up?

kbs8ball

goin fast is all about gearing... an 8hp properly geared should fly...if it has 12" tire a 72 tooth rear sprocket and a 12 tooth clutch..its only gonna go so fast...even if it has a v twin in it.

ok i got a 14tooth clutch that goes down to a sprocket on a jackshaft then runs over to another sprocket which runs over to the rear hub and wheel (all on the same side) should i change the second sprocket connecting to the wheel?

kbs8ball

thats a big clutch...both my running bikes have 12 t clutches...need to know how many teeth on each sprocket on the JS and the sprocket on the rear wheel.

If you have a 1" shaft, it will be cheaper to keep the 14T clutch and change the size of the sproket from the clutch.

Usually you have a 12 T clutch going to something like a 18T to a 12T to the sprocket. Count your teeth on you JS sprockets you want to go with a smaller one coming of the clutch for more top end speed. Too small and you'll burn your clutch.