New carb now Motor loses power randomly

I have a tecumseh power sport 6hp. It was running really good except it was pretty hard to start so i replaced it with a chinese clone carb instead of another one of those primer bulb tecumseh carbs. I put the new carb on and it started up 2nd pull so i was satisfied with the results until i took the motor for a spin. I have never had this exact problem before, but basically what happened is that the motor had good bottom end torque when i first take off, but then before it can get to full speed it completely loses power but the motor doesnt die. Its not like the typical bogging symptom. then when i stop and try to accelerate again, it doesnt have any torque at all and just seems like its idling even though the throttle is clearly opening properly, And sometimes you can barely hear it trying to accelerate but there is a lot of hesitation. i Checked all the gaskets so i know it is not an air leak Whats the deal? is the carb flat out defective?

Last edited:
If your certain the butterfly is opening and the governor isn't cutting you back I would make sure the exhaust isn't restricted, it could still be the carb but look at the easy things first.......................Tom.

Sounds like the butterfly is catching somewhere on the carb flange or the governor is hanging up. My dad had the same problem on his '61 tractor and it lacked a ton of power. After the butterfly jumped past the hangup, the thing almost revved itself to pieces. Be careful and make sure your killswitch works. Exploding flywheels don't feel too good in your leg.

I checked that the butterfly was opening properly and checked exhaust as suggested. It turns out the carb really was defective. Im not surprised since the last one of the same type that i ordered was defective as well. Those carbs were the chinese tecumseh knock off for the ohh55 ohh60 & ohh65, the non tuneable type with no primer bulb. I ended up throwing on a chinese knock off tuneable carb for a h35 ( ive had much better luck with those). And I was surprised to find out that it actually worked on my ohh60! its the same bore size as the one for the ohh60 except plus its tuneable. Im sure many of you probably already knew that but i guess i learn something new every day. anyways thanks for the suggestions guys

Last edited: