New go-kart I may need some help

So I recently acquired a shifter Go Kart I I feel it is a diamond in the rough mainly because I got it for so cheap
As far as I know it's complete except for the plastic body parts brakes work great throttle works great everything
When I got it the engine was stuck the Piston would not go down I have fixed that issue but in the process of putting the cylinder head back on I broke the piston rings I recently bought some brand new ones but since I have no info on the engine besides that it is a Yamaha YZ250 I don't know much else about it other than that it's a two stroke engine I ended up buying the wrong ones and the jerk at the dirt bike store refuse to help me figure out any info on the engine so now I'm here asking if anybody could help me identify the engine so I can buy the proper piston rings since the engine does not start up

Looks like maybe an IT250 engine
There should be some engine numbers by the kick start and a Yamaha dealer should be able to get you all of the parts you need

i have a yt-175 looked like that i had it on a kart for a while rarely had it out of second gear it was so fast. Too fast for the trails i ride but on pavement it would be great. Those are some wild spacers on the front wheels it will handle much better if you bring them in closer to the spindles

Yeah the guy that sold it to me told me that that thing that about 90 miles an hour and that was on second gear it has four in total... so I just changed the piston rings but I'm not sure if the carburetor isn't passing gas or if my spark plug is messed up it kicks just fine but nothing else happens

Did you make sure to clock the piston ring gaps 120 degrees away from each other? Check for spark and give it a snoot full of ether and it should at least fire a bit. If you haven't already I'd clean the carb. Smokers gum up fast if they sit too long.

Did you make sure to clock the piston ring gaps 120 degrees away from each other? Check for spark and give it a snoot full of ether and it should at least fire a bit. If you haven't already I'd clean the carb. Smokers gum up fast if they sit too long.
It is a two stroke piston port. Piston ring gap should fit over the locating pin on the piston ring groove otherwise ring end would snag on the port.

The older ones like the a490 clinton and some McCullough s that had drilled ports had unpinned rings. But piston ports had wide ports.

update :after tinkering a bit i noticed low compression and i have no spark i gotta mess with the wiring i bought a new sparkplug and nothing...this thing is giving me a run for my money

There is more to having good compression on a two stroke engine. The crank shaft has seals too that much be in good condition or you will not pull the fuel mixture into the chamber.

update so I replaced all the gaskets but it still feels like I have low compression after double-checking my new piston rings I noticed they're a bit tight and they stick it in to the Piston more than they should looks like I'll order some new ones

Is that a point type ignition or does it have a CDI? A point type ignition would be much easier to to diagnose. As far as compression do you have a compression gauge you can test it?

Is that a point type ignition or does it have a CDI? A point type ignition would be much easier to to diagnose. As far as compression do you have a compression gauge you can test it?
I don't have a compression gauge..it has a CDI box from what I can tell what really sucks is that I'm super new at two stroke engines I have no idea what I'm looking at whenever I'm working on this engine

I don't have a compression gauge..it has a CDI box from what I can tell what really sucks is that I'm super new at two stroke engines I have no idea what I'm looking at whenever I'm working on this engine
Then why don't you STOP and get a service manual. I was going to comment on that a week ago. Ring end gap is important. What is it, did you check it?

Then why don't you STOP and get a service manual. I was going to comment on that a week ago. Ring end gap is important. What is it, did you check it?
that's just it I don't really know the exact engine model I'm working with and the closest local DB dealer/repair shop has an ass hat attendant that refuses to help unless I throw cash his way so I wouldn't even know if the manual I have is the right one

I do appreciate every little bit of advice you guys have been giving me tho