New Member, 5hp B&S Tips?

Hey Yall, I just got into the whole minibike thrill when Northern tool had them on sale for $199 a few weeks ago, and I can say these little suckers bring the smiles out of riders and others yelling "My Turn!"

To my point, the little stock 2.5hp has no problem moving my (120lb) lady around but when big daddy gets on there (200lb) the 2.5hp starts to scream WTF... Your joking right :thefinger:?

I have and older flat head 5hp B&S 135212-0140-01 that's on a wood chipper, but after a carb rebuild I hope to throw her in the Minibike.

Any tips/tricks, suggestions/fyi on starting down the 5hp B&S mod minibike road?

No issues putting a 5 horse flatty on a DB30. You can drill new holes or buy the adapter plate from CTJMINI - take a look in the Doodlebug section on this site, his kits are on a sticky post called 6.5 engine swap kit. You can buy the plate alone - which is what i would do, they work perfectly for just about any B+S, clone, or other motor out there. You'll need a clutch with the correct pitch teeth on it (#35), and some way to run the throttle.

First though - make darn sure your flatty has a straight - non tapered crank shaft PTO for the clutch. Ideally you want the shaft about 2.5 inches or so long and the diameter to be 3/4 inch. If you have that - you are set - go for it !

I drilled holes using a cardboard template and the holes still came out wrong.
I fixed this using some shims on the PTO shaft to line up the clutch and sprocket as best as possible.

Feel free to check out my 5hp swap pictures & videos.:smile:

What clutch would you recommend? I dug around and have some ideas but it cant hurt to ask.
A max torque #5 will be fine, a plate is the best way to go as I put a 5hp briggs on an older DB with holes that lined up but had clearance issues with the rear lower fender bracket and the bottom of the 5hp tank! I could have avoided the issue with a plate, and the forward adjustability and spacing it provides! I just cut it off but dont reccomend it! I no longer own it but here is a photo!