new old chain saw.

out of the blue my brother stopped by and said he couldn't wait till my birthday... gave me this old saw...its a sears. I havent looked into it much but it sure looks cool.

Attachments

out of the blue my brother stopped by and said he couldn't wait till my birthday... gave me this old saw...its a sears. I havent looked into it much but it sure looks cool.
Not sure what it is exactly, but I see it has a belt drive reduction.
It resembles an old Clinton and I suspect it had an open header that curved around towards the bar at one time.

Nice saw !

MB165

its got a nice gear reduction unit on it, back then they didn't believe in mufflers, most had none or either just a small pipe to guide the exhaust....That saw looks like a David Bradley

if ya get it running, it wont rev up like a modern saw, it will sound more like what we call 4 stroking at the shop. (rich, loaded up sound)

Last edited:

CarPlayLB

I looks like a "Power Products" engine. David Bradley used motors that they outsourced.
A problem with the older 2 strokes is that the bearings can get gummed up. If they are not free they will seize! I don't know how to check or protect that from happening. Hopefully a 2 stroke guy will chime in! Nice saw, I'd hate to see something happen to it!

Last edited:

MB165

cool, I bet most mufflers fell off from the vibration..... we had a collection of about 25 at the shop and half were gone. yes its true most of those old engines will need crank seals. leaking seals will throw off the mixture and make it hard/ impossible to start or adjust especially around idle speeds. if there is any gumming of bearings, rings etc, berkibile brand 2+2 carb. cleaner works very good. If you need a carb diaphragm one from a Tecumseh type carb should fit.