New pics and new questions

Ok so I have done the searches trying to find any past posts on chain tension. My rear sprocket seems to have some excessive runout--in that it seems like the sprocket is out of round. The runout is front to back, not warpage/bending of the sprocket itself. Is this something common with this type of sprocket? (See pic). Is it something fixable? I was thinking that maybe I could shift where it mounts to the wheel just enough to eliminate that runout. Any ideas? Ultimately what is happening is the chain is tight then loose about every half turn on the rear sprocket and I can't find the sweet spot to get it adjusted right--it seems to drag on the clutch or rear sprocket intermittently. Oh, also wanted to throw in one more question: What are some decent options to clean up my clutch or build a cover for it? I have had a blast putting this thing together and reading about all of your sweet projects! Thanks for any help!

Sounds to me like your rear wheel sproket is out of center, is there some way to loosen up the bolts to the sproket and center it, if that don't work get a new drive wheel, or you could see if you could fabricate a tensioner, like on a dryer belt, but use a small sproket, or some kind of steel roller, that the chain will roll over, if the roller don't move, it will get eaten up by the chain, best thing to do though is to get a new drive wheel.
dave

hitman

I have the same problem with my boonie. The go kart shop sold me a two part driven sprocket. It has the cup that bolts to the wheel, the the teeth section of it can be swapped out for more or less teeth depending on your gearing needs. Trying to get that sprocket to turn true will make your hair turn gray and fall out. I got it about as close as I can and it still pisses me off. I intend to junk the new sprocket, and get a better one.

Yeah, it's pretty irritating! I'm thinking I will try to center that sprocket and see if I can't get it any closer. I am running a tensioner right now (not sure if it's very visible in the pics), but I think I need a heftier spring. I can understand some movement, but that tensioner bobs up and down as I'm going say 20 mph. One other question: Are chains directional? Do I have my chain on backwards? The link (c clip) is on the outside instead of the inside. Would that have anything to do with the crunching/clanking noises I'm hearing?

So here's the latest: I removed the rear wheel, loosened the sprocket assembly and moved it no more than 1/16th inch to center and flipped the chain (just for kicks). Put everything back together again and waa laa, it worked like a champ. No more bobbing up and down on the tensioner. It's amazing how much just that small amount affected the chain tension! Anyway, thanks for the input and help in figuring this one out! Still wondering about ideas on clutch covers?:eek:ut: Thanks!

There was just enough play in the sprocket holes to center it up. I thought I might have to enlarge the holes but luckily this worked. It is 100 percent better!