New Tecumseh H35

Hi,
I recently received a new H35. 70’s vintage in the dark gray/black style.
Not the original white but it’ll work for mine.
Can I just use unleaded gas? Or add a lead additive? These motors weren’t
Engineered to run on the gas we have now.
Thx!!!
Andy

They run fine on 87 unleaded Andy. The lack of lead for lubrication of valves isn't an issue, and octane "is what it is." The only differences are you need to tune them to run richer than you did in 1970, and if you leave them alone for six months, the fuel in the float will condense causing water, which will turn some of the carburetor components into powdery white stuff, or downright rust.

The other day for the first time, I broke down and went and bought some alcohol free 94 octane at one of the pumps here in town. Big difference in performance that I didn't even realize I was missing until I tried it. I bet it will turn into regular gooey shellac in the carb now, instead of metal corrosion after six months. :laugh:

Currently we are using Rec90 gas, with the recommended amount of Sea Foam, in a No Spill gas can. So far, so good, for several years now.
Hope this helps,
Steve

Ding Ding

I run 91 octane non-oxy in all of my small gas engines which includes the vintage ones. The fuel does not go bad if left for 6+ months and the performance is notable.

Thx, I’ll wait till the spring to get it going. I still have to mount the motor, chain, cables, etc.
Looking at the replies, I don't know if you got your answer. The vast majority of people here, including home owners with mowers, edgers, and powered martini mixers use alcohol gasoline from the pump.

You have 895 alcohol-free gas stations in WI, but not listed in Milwaukee. Link Here

I pay $4 per gallon for 93 octane lead free in Arizona. And when I said six months, I meant a period of time in excess of what I wanted to spend not starting an engine, with ambient temperatures in my garage exceeding 130F. I'm sure fuels last longer on Mars, and states that begin with the letter "M," half of whom have descended upon our small town in their annual pilgrimage to escape the Winters' cold, icy grip.:laugh:

Milwmini, I'm in Menomonee Falls, not far from you. The only place around here your going to find non ethanol gas is McKinley Marina down town or Timmerman Field. You can find it in Union Grove as well at the snowmobile dealership near the drag strip. If you bought that H35 off craigs list from near Madison, it will be fine on the unleaded. That was an early 80's motor. What I do with my boats and my mini bikes due to the crap gas we are forced to buy around here is use the blue marine formula Stabil in every tank of gas. I run it year round. It is made specifically for ethanol gas and does a great job of keeping your carbs from turning into bowls of white ethanol pudding.