No start after governor and valve work

Hey there, appreciate the help! Almost new Coleman CT200. Decided to take out the governor and replace valve springs with 18lb. I have good amount of car mechanic experience. Thought it would be doable. Well, messed up. So, I got the governor out ok, I went to replace valve springs and lost one of the tiny top hats to the valve retainer. I took the engine back apart looking for it. No luck. I decided to put it all together and see if it would be ok. I moved the piston to top dead center and gapped the lifters. Put it all back together and the pull rope only extends half way. It sounds like the piston is knocking a valve. Just about had it this far. Any ideas? Thanks again.

SAS289

When you say "tiny top hats" are you talking about the lash cap? There is only one of them on the exhaust valve. Did you have the cam out while removing the governor?

Have you had the rocker cover back off to verify that the upper valve train is ok?

What you are trying to do there is not good in the first place. The stock connecting rod and flywheel are not designed to handle the RPM that the engine may get to once you are back up and running. A billet connecting rod and flywheel are the way to go when running ungoverned RPM. A catastrophic flywheel failure can cause severe injury to the rider.

Have you figured out how to set up the throttle linkage ungoverned? That could be another safety concern.