Noob with lots of questions!

Hi everyone . . . .

I am new here and am doing a Manco Kart resto. I have lots of questions and this place seems to be where the answers are.

My first concern is that I am redoing this Kart for my girls. I went out and bought a 6.5 clone motor over the weekend. These kids weigh in at 40 pounds. I am using the stock rear sprocket that appears to be about ten inches in diameter (59 teeth). How fast do you think this thing is going to be? I am a bit concerned that the motor may be too much. The tire height I am using is about an inch smaller than what was on it when I got it, but I can't be sure those tires were what was inteneded by the manufacturer anyway.

If so . . . can I throttle it back. But if I do this, does that put unecessary wear on the clutch? Would the clutch even engage?

As for these old Manco frames . . . will it tote my 195 pound arse around the yard should I decide to take it for a blast?

My apologies if these are stupid questions. I am learning as I go here.

Last edited:
yea with that little weight you should have no problem with the clutch burning up with a throttle stop. you can probrobly just put an adjustable bolt on the pedal so you can tune it to your needs

joekd

I just posted in your other thread, I have pretty much the same exact kart

With a 6.5 and the stock gear it tops out at 28MPH (GPS verified) but is VERY traction limited

I put slicks on the rear of ours, the correct tire size is 4.10/3.50x5, careful using anything else because of the scrub brakes

My weight is slightly more then you and the kart will easily carry me around

28 is still probably still too fast for the kids but I'll tame it down somehow. Glad to hear it won't burn up the clutch. My game plan was to stick with the orginal tire size but my local garden tractor shop had a pair of 11 x 4 x 5. The extra half inch in width gave it nice look. The overall tire height is 3/4 off but I checked it with the scrubs and sprocket clearance and it looks like it will be O.K.

joekd

28 MPH is wide open bumping the 3600 governer, you can easily adjust the throttle stop and/or cable to bring it down a lot

When I built the mini dune buggy for my Grand kids I installed a radio controlled kill button and it still works after 8 years . And if they are going to fast the kill switch will kill the engine for a second or too . They also make speed deduction jack shafts that mount on the motor. I had to make my own. Be safe first it pays off. Lots of pictures in my photo section Steve :scooter:

When I built the mini dune buggy for my Grand kids I installed a radio controlled kill button and it still works after 8 years . And if they are going to fast the kill switch will kill the engine for a second or too . They also make speed deduction jack shafts that mount on the motor. I had to make my own. Be safe first it pays off. Lots of pictures in my photo section Steve :scooter:
Now that's a really good idea.