Old 3hp 177cc Questions...

Hey everyone this is my first post in the forums and after doing some searching and lurking around, I couldn't find answers or the help I needed.

Just recently I dug out this old go-kart that has been in storage unused for 25 years! The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 3hp 177cc. The engine probably had less than 10 hours of use before being stuck in storage. Well the smart guy (my Dad) that locked it away from my sister and I didn't follow the maintenance guide on storing it for more than 30 days.

Being the absolute non-mechanical noob that I am, I don't know where to begin to get it started. There is still some old fuel left in the tank which sucks its almost gooey like substance now. So where do I start as far as getting it going? I know this is a mini-bike forum and I actually have future plans on possibly putting the engine into one but before I do, figured I would give this kart a quick spin if I could. Forgive me if I came to the wrong place but any help is much appreciated!

Hey everyone this is my first post in the forums and after doing some searching and lurking around, I couldn't find answers or the help I needed.

Just recently I dug out this old go-kart that has been in storage unused for 25 years! The engine is a Briggs and Stratton 3hp 177cc. The engine probably had less than 10 hours of use before being stuck in storage. Well the smart guy (my Dad) that locked it away from my sister and I didn't follow the maintenance guide on storing it for more than 30 days.

Being the absolute non-mechanical noob that I am, I don't know where to begin to get it started. There is still some old fuel left in the tank which sucks its almost gooey like substance now. So where do I start as far as getting it going? I know this is a mini-bike forum and I actually have future plans on possibly putting the engine into one but before I do, figured I would give this kart a quick spin if I could. Forgive me if I came to the wrong place but any help is much appreciated!
Clean the carb and gas tank put fresh gas in it and I bet it will start ....

well get some carb cleaner , and spray out the tank you will more then likely need a carb kit . can you post a pic of your motor? i would put a small amount of oil in the cylinder just a few drops and let it coat the inside of the cylinder.

well get some carb cleaner , and spray out the tank you will more then likely need a carb kit . can you post a pic of your motor? i would put a small amount of oil in the cylinder just a few drops and let it coat the inside of the cylinder.
Thanks for the help guys. Is there a specific brand of carb cleaner I should grab? Do I need to remove the gas tank before I spray it out and what should I spray it out with? I will snap a couple pics hopefully this evening. Is it very difficult to remove the gas tank while still mounted to the kart or should it be removed first? Sorry for the noob questions :doah:.

Thanks for the help guys. Is there a specific brand of carb cleaner I should grab? Do I need to remove the gas tank before I spray it out and what should I spray it out with? I will snap a couple pics hopefully this evening. Is it very difficult to remove the gas tank while still mounted to the kart or should it be removed first? Sorry for the noob questions :doah:.
well as for the carb cleaner get what ever one you want . i use the stuff from vilemart aka wall mart its cheap and it does a good job . warning it can peel the paint off some motors . it would be easier to clean the tank if it is off the motor . as for the removal of it well not seeing it makes it hard to say how to remove it . pics will help out alot .

:drool: That IS a clean looking old motor :drool: Yeah like Metal Man said, probably MUCH easier to clean the gas tank out if it's off the motor.. That will also allow you to clean out or at least check out the pickup tube.. If the tank is goopy, that screen in the pickup tube will probably need cleaned as well... And yeah... I use the Dollar Store kind of Brake Parts Cleaner because it's cheap but it's all the same stuff... :thumbsup:

Although if the goop is still a fluid type stuff, gasoline will probably clean it just as well.. I like to put whatever fluid (gas or something) in the tank, along with a handfull of nuts and bolts and screws and stuff to use as an abrasive... Then shake the crap out of it....

:drool: That IS a clean looking old motor :drool: Yeah like Metal Man said, probably MUCH easier to clean the gas tank out if it's off the motor.. That will also allow you to clean out or at least check out the pickup tube.. If the tank is goopy, that screen in the pickup tube will probably need cleaned as well... And yeah... I use the Dollar Store kind of Brake Parts Cleaner because it's cheap but it's all the same stuff... :thumbsup:

Although if the goop is still a fluid type stuff, gasoline will probably clean it just as well.. I like to put whatever fluid (gas or something) in the tank, along with a handfull of nuts and bolts and screws and stuff to use as an abrasive... Then shake the crap out of it....
Will be tearing into the engine this afternoon. Can't wait to get it going. What size are the spark plugs that usually come in these engines? Was thinking of grabbing one at the store but need a spark plug wrench also. Want to make sure I grab the right size.

The plug will have numbers on it you can get one at most parts stores as for the plug socket it should be 13/16 make sure you get a real plug socket with the rubber in it so as not to crack the porcelain and if you use brake clean make sure you dont get it on rubber parts as it will chew it up.

Oh ya welcome to the site

Well today was complete fail for me lol. Removing the gas tank sounded easier than it was. I couldn't get the carb removed from the top of the tank. There was something like a plastic tube that went from the carb down into the tank preventing me from taking it off. Is there an easy way to do this?

bandit 40

You had it right just pull the carb off until the tube hits again and turn the carb and tube side to side until it comes out:thumbsup:, trust me it will, just remember to take some photos so you get it together again....:smile:

Look closely at the pickup tubes that hang into the tank (there are two) to see if they're clogged w/the same goo that's in the tank. Check to see that the air filer foam isn't dry and crumbly. The carb diaphragm might also be dried out and cracked after all this time. It's under the rectangular cover on the side of the carb and is easy to replace.

Got the gas tank off (finally), added some nuts and bolts and such and just shook the crap out of it til it poured clear gas and I could no longer see and debris inside. The pickup tubes were indeed clogged and got those cleared out easily. Sprayed the carb out good with some cleaner and now on my way to reassemble and hope she starts. Damn I don't think I can fit in this thing anymore its been 25 years lol.

Reassembled everything and it started right up. Doesn't go as fast as I remember 25 years ago but it works! Thanks to everyone that helped me. Now to pursue getting a mini-bike going someday...

Not sure where to find these numbers but I did find some original operating and maintenance instructions. The model series is listed for 80200 to 82200 engines. Where could I find the 3 sets of numbers?