Old race bike restoration

Augiedoggie

That is pretty, but I thought real race bikes had reed valves?o_O:scooter:
The 82 XR500 4 stroke runs a reed valve. This one retains the original reed valve with Boyesen reed petals. Stock reeds were steel. I fitted the original reed block with CR125 reed petals. Motor picked up nearly 3 horses and 600 RPM with fiberglass reeds and a bit more cam timing

Really? Where are they located? immediately in front of the carb?
I guess it could help, just never heard of reeds on a four stroke.
Sorry for pulling your leg, Sir.

Augiedoggie

Really? Where are they located? immediately in front of the carb?
I guess it could help, just never heard of reeds on a four stroke.
Sorry for pulling your leg, Sir.
No worries. Legs a bit short anyhow. Yessir the reed valve resides ahead of carburetor on this model. Exclusive to the 82 model year. Designed to help the 4 stroke flame out. Worked well at lower speeds but killed top end power a bit due to slight air flow restriction and port volume increase. Some modern 4 stroke bikes use an intake tract reed valve as a silencer to help allow some bikes to meet noise regulations

Oh no! You got me thinking.
I have quite a few old two stroke stationary/ industrial engines. I have been picking up reed plates and cages from old outboards at the scrap yard.
Maybe I'll play with one on an old flathead.
Again, Thank you for the education.

I had a buddy in the USMC about 1986. One of his young troopies bought a new CR125 to ride around in the woods. (flat sand, tree roots, pine trees, tight trails, tight turns) The kid got hurt. My buddy asked me if I wanted to show the kid how to rev the engine so it would go.
I blasted out of his yard, hit the ditch out front and landed in the median of a 4 lane. I rode it right back onto the trailer and never touched it again.
We took it back to the dealer and the kid traded it for a nice, docile XR100. Best woods bike I ever rode.

pomfish

Another recent restoration from last year 87 CR125
Bike is a rocket.
Brought it home in boxes and rode it out of garage a year later
Beautiful bike Augie!

Rode my neighbors 87 CR250R and it scared the living sheet out of me. And that was after the owner said "No, lean way more forward she will come up in pretty much any gear"
When those things come on the pipe it is a rush, like better than most street bikes that I've ridden.
Cool bikes and as they say "They don't make em like that anymore"

Scariest thing ever rode for sure was a works replica KX250 back in 1978. Very narrow peaky powerband. But scary fun!
600 imported to USA
Like this one ;
https://www.bike-urious.com/1978-kawasaki-kx250-a-4/
I weighed 147 lbs in 1978 so it was hang on.

Augiedoggie

I recently owned 2003 KTM SX 125 and drag raced it against my son riding the restored 87 CR125 just for shits.The old CR pissed all over the newer KTM every time. 80s Honda motocrossers were badass back in the day.