on "Removing governor ... Please read" sticky

OK, so I'm new to the mini bike scene, and at modifying Predator engines. Been reading in here a lot about the importance of either not modifying your engine by removing your governor, or replacing the rod and flywheel if you plan to do so. Just can't find a dedicated thread of instructions.

I plan to use the ARC throttle plate because I had to remove the fuel tank, air filter and muffler to get the engine to fit in my frame. I have purchased the Top plate, Predator mini bike kit, and Billet Flywheel. I just need some instruction for the install.

I found the sticky for the carb clean/jetting install, and the girl at OldMiniBikes sent me a video for the top plate install (Thanks Vicky!), but said I should check here for further help. I'm no mechanic, but I can follow step-by-step directions fairly well :helpsmilie:.

-Is there a sticky or instructions somewhere for the Flywheel removal and install

-do I have to use a fuel pump with the top plate? Does the stock configuration even have a fuel pump - maybe buried in the tank?

-any other good source for written or video how to's?

Thanks for any help, JB

I don't know about a sticky. I would bet YouTube would have something. You might check affordablegokarts.com. This might help.

Piston and Rod
AGK - Billet rod & flat top piston installation - Affordable Go Karts

Gov Removal
AGK - HONDA GX160 & GX200 Governor Removal - Affordable Go Karts

Fuel Pump (You don't HAVE to have this, but it helps.
AGK - Fuel Pump Setup - Affordable Go Karts

There are torque values there as well, but I didn't really follow them. The flywheel is a pain to get off, but I wasn't using any fancy pulling tool. I just use a pry bar and rubber mallot. I've gotten two off that way. Just take it off and put the new one on. There is a key that will have to be lined up.

I'm happy to help, but I know there are a lot of guys on her that know way more than I do. Feel free to PM any questions, or just post them here if you feel comfortable. There are no dumb questions, and you never know who will benefit from reading your post in the future. Take lots of pics and make a thread. I'm sure you could help someone in the future.

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I watched part 1 of the "how to get a clone race ready" video after work tonight. That's what I needed. I'll watch em' all in the am to get a better feel for it. I'll search both of your previous build threads as well.

im sorry im a noob what does the governor do
By now, you've probably googled it and found out.

It's an apparatus that "governs" how fast the engine will spin, thus protecting the internal parts from destroying themselves. Most engines (of all types) have something like this to protect them, from centrifugal controlled items, to electronic fuel limiting devices.

Removed, most engines as designed will suffer catastrophic failure.

im sorry im a noob what does the governor do
I think the gear inside the case has weights on it, and as the gear spins, the weights move out and push the arm attached to it back in so that the throttle can't open up as much. I might be way off, but I started asking myself how it would work long after I pulled it out. If you're running the top plate, you probably won't need the arm at all. Use the one that comes with the top plate. You should cap the holes. I think NOS told you what bolts fit. I used a set screw so that nothing stuck out anywhere. Once you take the flywheel off, use a punch to get the gov gear out. Then cap it with some loctite and a bolt or set screw. Then put the new flywheel on. the old one will be a b#$^@ to get off, but just keep at it. Make sure you get all of the little washers and bits out of the block before you put it back together. I would check it over twice to make sure.

I may be off on the science behind it, but Havasu Dave gave you the answer you're probably looking for. It limits the revs so the motor doesn't blow up.