Opinion Please

Ok, I'm not an auto mechanic but know enough to do some easy modifications. I currently have a gx390 in my mini bike and plan on doing the following mods to it......

-snake pipe

-K&N air filter

-removal of governor (heard this can greatly damage the engine over time???)

-still deciding between comet torque or redhawk

-mikuni carb (suggestion of size?)

-removal of choke(how does this help performance?)

Ya thats pretty much all....... Please leave suggestions on any other easy mods that will increase engine performance but won't kill it or anything that will help prolong life of the engine. Or any mod that you think is a must-do mod. Also if you find that any of my mods I plan on doing require another mod to work to the fullest/best, that I've not listed, please comment. Thanks for all your guys help!!!

mnibike

den35

I,personally,would not remove the governor.Only tweak it's linkages a bit to give you more rpm,but still stop the engine from reving into oblivion.

Removing the choke seems pointless to me.It doesn't affect anything till you close it.

Otherwise,everything else you're thinking of will do well.

no matter what you do it would be a wise choice to put in a billet pistonrod that is the weakest link even in the real honda motors with a billet rod you can remove the gov. and not worry as much !!! if you leave the gov. in why bother doing anything else. when you go to AGK you see it is a wise choice to replace the rod it will prolong the life of your motor no matter what you do to it !!

yea definitely get a billet rod if you take the governor out.

if you don't remove your governor, the header, air filter would be good upgrades. you could try a larger jet for the carb, vent the breather, and play with your gearing to, cause getting more speed out of that engine shouldn't be an issue at all with proper gearing.

I know governer removal is always a debated topic on the site but i believe that if you are smart and have been around engines long enough you wont overpush the engine and you will know when to stop.

And i say if its a race or extreme use motor then get a billet rod.
But if its not then use what i said above and be smart and you wont have any trouble.

Ok, I see your guys point about the removal of the governor. Ok so would I control the governor from completeing reving to "boom" by the control of the throttle cable or is it wihtin the gears???

They suggest I don't completely remove the governor but just tweak with it to set higher rpms does anyone see how I can adjust the governor to the point of x rpms higher or should I just completely remove the governor and add heavier valve springs and a billet rod?

Will the engine actually be able to pull enough RPM after governor removal with the stock valve springs? I would think that valve float would be your next governor.

Anybody know if these are interference fit engines?

I took the governer out of my bone stock Honda GX200 and have never had any problems.
I dont max out the engine for long times though, only short burst.

But if you get heavier springs and a billet rod you will be golden. No problems ever

I took the governer out of my bone stock Honda GX200 and have never had any problems.
I dont max out the engine for long times though, only short burst.

But if you get heavier springs and a billet rod you will be golden. No problems ever
he is right on the money but only get 18lb springs 26lb is over kill and coud wear down the cam lobes faster

i heard the aluminum wheels hate to idle and loose top end I dont plan on reving past 5500 i don't know if it'd be worth it or not but man the acceleration is sweet :smile:

GX390 springs aren't that cheap, compared to $8 200 springs that you can get anywhere. They will run you ~$21 bucks plus whatever shipping is charged. I would rather put that $20 bucks to use somewhere else unless you really need them.

Gotta look at the big picture instead of just throwing $20 bucks here and there. Your not gona get valve float till above 5500 RPM most likely and if you wanna go higher then that you need to spend more $$ on the engine.