Oregon carburetors? Any Good?

Been working on building up a couple mini bike H50 motors and need a carb, I usually don’t mess with anything other than NOS Tecumseh, but noticed the Oregon carbs. They seem to look a little more like the Tec originals in many ways such as surface finish and other details as compared to the Chinese knock offs... My question is are these carbs at least a little better quality than the knock offs? or are they just rebranded Chinese? They sure look a lot more like the originals. The surface finish and a few other details look more close to an original Tec carb than a known knock off piece. I see a lot of NOS Tec carbs but I would believe a lot of these NOS ones we see for sale were probably not USA made in the later years... Just wondering if the Oregon ones are different (better) quality then the knock offs... Thoughts/input???

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Last edited:
The Oregons are Chinese, too. It's kind of hit or miss on replacement carbs. Some that I get have phenomenal fit and finish and others are pieces of pot metal junk. Even the current "official" Tecumseh carbs are Chinese (like their points, rods and other parts).

capguncowboy

I've had good luck with the ROP brand on Ebay. I've bought 6 and haven't had any duds. I haven't even had one that leaks.

I can't speak to the quality of the Oregon brand carbs, but I do know they're made in China. Their coils, points and condensers work great and I would assume their carbs are just as good.

Last edited:
The Oregons are Chinese, too. It's kind of hit or miss on replacement carbs. Some that I get have phenomenal fit and finish and others are pieces of pot metal junk. Even the current "official" Tecumseh carbs are Chinese (like their points, rods and other parts).
Thanks Doc for the info.. yeah I assumed the newer Tec carbs were Chinese....

I've had good luck with the ROP brand on Ebay. I've bought 6 and haven't had any duds. I haven't even had one that leaks.

I can't speak to the quality of the Oregon brand carbs, but I do know they're made in China. Their coils, points and condensers work great and I would assume their carbs are just as good.
Thanks... I’ll look up the ROP brand and see what I find... good to know on the points too... I usually clean the used ones real well if the tungsten isn’t worn through as I don’t trust the usual Chinese ones....

I strongly dislike Oregon products, after I bought an aftermarket Tecumseh coil from them. The little plastic tab on the coil that sticks up, which holds the coil down, was not molded correctly. The wire clip would slip off super easily. This caused the coil to contact the flywheel and shred itself into a gajillion pieces, making a nice super-fine iron dust all over my engine's magnets. A OEM tecumseh coil found on eBay solved the problem. Also their cotton recoil starter rope snapped ultra easily, replaced it with nylon parachute cord.

Contact to Oregon about the issue went unanswered. I guess it is futile to complain about the quality of some Chinese made junk, even they feel so as is evident by them not responding. It's just too bad it's all Chinese junk being made and all the quality American made stuff is now NOS. It won't be fun when all the good OEM Tecumseh stock gets used up.

Last edited:

MB165

Oregon used to be silver streak mfg. engine parts are imported, unless Oregon has improved quality, they are substandard.