Packer?

I picked this one up last week. The folks on the Tote Gote page say it is a "Packer" possibly build in Bakersfield CA in the 1960's

Does anyone have any more specific information such as a manufacturer? I have done a lot of searching on the internet and not found any information other than a few posts on this and other web pages with just pictures.

Attachments

Thanks Mark. John Trotter is the one who told me it was a packer. Not a whole lot on these.
All original (other than the yellow paint). Tires are original. Holding air, but too cracked to try a spin on it.

I am going to clean it up, match the red and get rid of the yellow. Redo the rings and seat the valves. Build a seat (if I can get an example of what it looked like) and run it.

Sorry, I don't have much information on the packer. I haven't seen one in original condition or any ads showing a new one. We are all learning together. Every example adds to the puzzle.

David Zylstra (6).jpg

Please post photos of the clutch and motors. Your Packer does look very original. I have seen examples with Deepco clutch and I have seen Salsburys. It's hard to tell what they used, or if they were a kit and you found you own drivetrain.

I will document this one as I clean it up. It appears reasonably original. Even the tires appear to be original.

I saw the labels you photographed but have not found any internet information on "Packer" or "camplete" which was on the front of your forks.

The motor is a 4 hp that appears to be a 1962. Without any information, I can't say it is original.

It has a Salsbury clutch, and is running the same link belt bearing blocks as the tote gote model B.

No front brake, and the rear brake is the same as the Tote Gote model B. A V pully with a V belt like material that is pulled into the pulley.

I looked over the packer.

It has serial number 640116 on the left front engine mount.

Motor is a briggs 4 hp with a suction carb. (100202 4010-51)

It has a 1 gal (?) Fuel tank. Located below the carb.

I am unsure if this is the original motor as it appears to have had a wire attached that pulls the choke that is located on the rear of the carb. This looks to be added on by the looks of the holder pipe. With the mesh on the rear, there would not be easy access to the choke.

Forks have a suspension system.
Tubes on the fork are round (as opposed to the oval tubes on the TG model B).

Clutch is a Salsbury. Belt is also salsbury. Rear clutch is the same as that on the TG model B

Sprocket on the clutch shaft has 12 teeth. Second shaft has 30 teeth on the right and 15 on the left. 60 teeth on the wheel.
Both chains appear to be #40.

Jack shaft bearing blocks are link belt. The same as the TG model B.

Tires are Armstrong. 4.80 x 8 in the front and 5 x 8 in the back. Front tire is more of a rectangular pattern with individual blocks. Rear is a V pattern traction tire.

The rims are solid. Without the hole in the rim found on the TG.

Throttle is a DelLorto L22 made in italy.

Brake lever has no markings on it I can see. Rear brake is a pulley with a V belt piece that pulls into the pulley the same as the TG model B.

Frame has 1 support bar on each of the front two lower frame tubes that go to the down tube on the fork.

The third larger support tube (part of the engine mount) has two support tubes that go to an upper frame cross bar.

There is a plastic cover over the clutch with a pushed out circular section that covers the clutch.

There are two holes in the second lower frame bar and a single hole on the front support tube. This appears to indicate there was a front fender similar to a TG.

I have found pictures of a packer with a shield in this position.

I am compiling pictures of the packer i have found on the internet and will post later.

There appears to be at least three models. One like mine with two vertical supports in the rear.
Another that has the two vertical supports and three lower horizontal supports.

The third appears to only have one jack shaft.

It also appears to use a similar metal kill bag at the model B tote gote. Not much left, but where it is on the head suggests a similar engine shut off as the TG model B

Attachments

Last edited:

Triley41395

I looked over the packer.

It has serial number 640116 on the left front engine mount.

Motor is a briggs 4 hp with a suction carb. (100202 4010-51)

It has a 1 gal (?) Fuel tank. Located below the carb.

I am unsure if this is the original motor as it appears to have had a wire attached that pulls the choke that is located on the rear of the carb. This looks to be added on by the looks of the holder pipe. With the mesh on the rear, there would not be easy access to the choke.

Forks have a suspension system.
Tubes on the fork are round (as opposed to the oval tubes on the TG model B).

Clutch is a Salsbury. Belt is also salsbury. Rear clutch is the same as that on the TG model B

Sprocket on the clutch shaft has 12 teeth. Second shaft has 30 teeth on the right and 15 on the left. 60 teeth on the wheel.
Both chains appear to be #40.

Jack shaft bearing blocks are link belt. The same as the TG model B.

Tires are Armstrong. 4.80 x 8 in the front and 5 x 8 in the back. Front tire is more of a rectangular pattern with individual blocks. Rear is a V pattern traction tire.

The rims are solid. Without the hole in the rim found on the TG.

Throttle is a DelLorto L22 made in italy.

Brake lever has no markings on it I can see. Rear brake is a pulley with a V belt piece that pulls into the pulley the same as the TG model B.

Frame has 1 support bar on each of the front two lower frame tubes that go to the down tube on the fork.

The third larger support tube (part of the engine mount) has two support tubes that go to an upper frame cross bar.

There is a plastic cover over the clutch with a pushed out circular section that covers the clutch.

There are two holes in the second lower frame bar and a single hole on the front support tube. This appears to indicate there was a front fender similar to a TG.

I have found pictures of a packer with a shield in this position.

I am compiling pictures of the packer i have found on the internet and will post later.

There appears to be at least three models. One tike mine with two vertical supports in the rear.
Another that has the two vertical supports and three lower horizontal supports.

The third appears to only have one jack shaft.

It also appears to use a similar metal kill bag at the model B tote gote. Not much left, but where it is on the head suggests a similar engine shut off as the TG model B
???????

Screenshot_20220827-161018_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20220827-161049_Chrome.jpg

Triley41395

Sorry about that. I forgot my original password and could not get the lost password system to work so i just made a new account.
Just here to try and get information on the Packer.
No problem
Sorry about that. I forgot my original password and could not get the lost password system to work so i just made a new account.
Just here to try and get information on the Packer.
Just trying to keep it honest here. I'm glad you are documenting your bike. I'm not trying to be an asshole but if you forgot your original password and couldn't retrieve it then why did you post on a new account first and then post on an older account second. I don't want to run anyone off that's here legitimately but that doesn't make sense to me.

No problem

Just trying to keep it honest here. I'm glad you are documenting your bike. I'm not trying to be an asshole but if you forgot your original password and couldn't retrieve it then why did you post on a new account first and then post on an older account second. I don't want to run anyone off that's here legitimately but that doesn't make sense to me.
Thanks for that information. The answer is, I use three different devices. My phone, a tablet, and my laptop to access this web site.. I dont always get the password to pop up on my tablet, and the password is not shown when google automatically enters it. I am assuming my old account was entered by one of my devices.

I will see about deleating the old account.

Your motor is probably original, the Briggs 100200 began in 1961. That motor did have the choke wires as shown in this parts drawing. Was there more numbers after your model number? Those number would pin down the exact date of the motor.
100200 Briggs.jpg