Picked this little gem up

20170902_143647-1.jpg

Its a nice 148cc Briggs flathead from a snowblower, model 09a413 0202 e1. Just working out how im going to hook up my throttle. Suggestions welcome.

Also, I am substituting a Champion J8C wich seems to be working very well. Is this plug ok to run with this engine?

Thanks!
Denny

View attachment 99608

Its a nice 148cc Briggs flathead from a snowblower, model 09a413 0202 e1. Just working out how im going to hook up my throttle. Suggestions welcome.

Also, I am substituting a Champion J8C wich seems to be working very well. Is this plug ok to run with this engine?

Thanks!
Denny
When this is engine was born, it would have come with a Champion J8. Today, Champion J8C is an excellent choice.

delray

I like that little engine too. I pickup one couple years ago and the first thing I notes was a 3inch 3/4 keyway crankshaft and it also comes with a aluminum flywheel. if a guy could just get a billet rod for it. that little thing would spin all day with the right mod's done to it.

Just working out how im going to hook up my throttle. Suggestions welcome.
Two quick ways to incorporate throttle Denny that I know if. First is the get that Briggs throttle kit from OldMiniBikes. https://www.OldMiniBikes.com/briggs-throttle-kit.html

The second is to incorporate a rock guard with a throttle clamp that screws on to the air filter mounting holes on the carburetor. There are many variants of this in the go kart world. That system would require a throttle swivel that sits in the throttle bell crank, such as the GEM 1348. Might require some enlargement of the hole in the bell crank. I've done several like that, and one using the OldMiniBikes device above. All work well. No Governor of course.

actually it would have came with a Briggs 802592S which crosses with an RJ19LM
O.K. I stand corrected. I remember back in the 1960's and early 1970's we ran Champion J-8's in all Briggs and Tecumseh
flat heads. I guess that before Briggs and Tecumseh started to market spark plugs.