Pipe/ tube bender

Where does this wheel come from?
You should be able to shop for a v- grooved gate caster at almost any supply house like grainger, mcmaster carr,etc.. or on a budget maybe try amazon and with a little imagination, a heavy steel 1/2" plate table and a long length of pipe for a pull handle you can make some things happen. It does take quite a bit of table strenth and pull to bend that pipe with repeatability. Nothing can flex in your bender build to be able to make conscistant bends and mark all your tubes paired together.

nightgrider

@sparkwizard I've been able to get reasonably decent bends out of the harbor Freight pipe kinker. By removing the rollers and filling the pipe with sand (packed with a dowel). Note this was done with 1/2" schedule 40 pipe. Haven't tried 7/8" tube. It kinked a bit but within an acceptable range for me. That's about an 85 degree bend.

Attachments

Last edited:
My Friend, I really appreciate your input. I have one of those and I do use it.
Here is my current situation. I bought part of a two piece mini bike frame, and it is made from 7/8 tubing. I need to make the lower half of the frame from 7/8 and my HF hydraulic bender really does not handle 7/8 OD. 3/4 ID fits the dies, but it is heavy and doesn't bend very well.
It's time for me to step up and try an actual tubing bender. Maybe it hasn't been my lack of skills all along, because my results have been horrible.

Last edited:

nightgrider

My Friend, I really appreciate your input. I have one of those and I do use it.
Here is my current situation. I bought part of a two piece mini bike frame, and it is made from 7/8 tubing. I need to make the lower half of the frame from 7/8 and my HF hydraulic bender really does not handle 7/8 OD. 3/4 ID fits the dies, but it is heavy and doesn't bend very well.
It's time for me to step up and try an actual tubing bender. Maybe it hasn't been my lack of skills all along, because my results have been horrible.
I understand. Do you have pictures of the frame? And what the lower half is supposed to look like. I'm just intrigued to see it.

Reviews I read complained about the box falling apart. Mine came from Ebay and the packaging is in good shape and it is HEAVY.
I opened it enough to get the base out so I can drill my holes and mount it to a ball mount.
Something I have been thinking about...
The pipe that is being bent starts out at about 90 degrees to the handle. That means if it is mounted "square" to the truck, one pipe will either start out under the truck, or the other pipe will end up under the truck. I am trying to plan accordingly. My welds might not be pretty, but they are very difficult to unweld.
The finish quality on the shoes seems much better and smoother than the Kinker.

nightgrider

Reviews I read complained about the box falling apart. Mine came from Ebay and the packaging is in good shape and it is HEAVY.
I opened it enough to get the base out so I can drill my holes and mount it to a ball mount.
Something I have been thinking about...
The pipe that is being bent starts out at about 90 degrees to the handle. That means if it is mounted "square" to the truck, one pipe will either start out under the truck, or the other pipe will end up under the truck. I am trying to plan accordingly. My welds might not be pretty, but they are very difficult to unweld.
The finish quality on the shoes seems much better and smoother than the Kinker.
Yes, I thought about the location of the handle/tube in relation to the ground as well. My other thought was mounting it to one of the vertical support beams of my garage (though it would have as similar issue to the hitch mount) or setting a 4x4 in the ground.

I am reminded of your experience only being able to bend 90 degrees. Behind my truck, that might be all I can do.
I do, however have a tractor with a 2 inch receiver and a hydraulic system. HMMM....
That's why I bought the heavy metal cabinet to mount it on. I'm taking the wheels off and securing it to the ground outside with pounded in rbar. I will be able to walk all around. I found it was easier to pull than to push and ran out of room on benches next to wall.

I am thinking about four holes in the plate. Welded to a spare ball mount and four clevis pins.
1701716374807.png 1701716374807.png Then, I can bend 90, lift the whole, big, heavy mess up, rotate it, and get hurt, throw it all in the bed of the truck and go find something fun to do.
Yeah, I see that, now.

in case anyone is still wondering what the limitation is on a hitch mounted bender like this, here are some pics...

I have it on a long hitch insert, I can fit about 18" of tube between the start of the bend and the bumper so I can put a 180 degree bend in the middle of about 4 feet of pipe. anything longer and the truck interferes with the pipe arc.

I guess I need to do some raking, or not :scooter:
DSCF2721.JPG DSCF2722.JPG DSCF2723.JPG DSCF2724.JPG