porting 8hp briggs

I'm not all into the technical side of the stuff, but I certainly can and have built my share of "performance" engines. I've alwas read that the engine NEEDS the swirl, and the quench zones, for optimum fuel atomization and mixing of the air/fuel ratio. Wouldn't getting rid of the swirl be somewhat detrimental to the operation and the final performance of the engine???? I could be way off base here so please, if I am, let me know.

Rudedog,
Actually if you port a motor to it shines it will suspend the flow of the gas... So In order to stop this you dont shine it but "scuff it up" in the port. Now The fuel still flows but like a toilet again swirls until it get there... But the "D" shape port will still have some swirl but very little resulting in faster fuel flow to the block.... So No it wont hurt the final performance but actually help a little...

Taylor

Okay,
You know how the fuel swirls in the port and goes round and round as it is sucked into the cylinder? Or how about this you know how a toilet swirls the water until it is sucked out the bottom?

Hope this help,
Taylor

65ShelbyClone

Okay,
You know how the fuel swirls in the port and goes round and round as it is sucked into the cylinder? Or how about this you know how a toilet swirls the water until it is sucked out the bottom?
I think I understand where you're coming from now. Earlier I was functioning on a large sleep deficit after getting in around 4 this morning.:doah:

The thing is that ports often do not have any kind of "whirlpool", swirl, or spiral flow effect like that, at least not like a drain. In fact, often(and desirably) the air and suspended fuel flows in a laminar manner. Swirl helps keep the fuel in suspension and improves mixture distribution, but usually by penalizing airflow in some way. For what we can hope to achieve with these production-based engines in a performance application, maintaining and improving laminar flow will be easier and more beneficial. Also, the port's shape, be it rectangular, round, oval, d-shaped, etc, is
fairly independent of how well it induces swirl. The port on my OHH65 is offset in relation to the valve and is what I would consider a swirl-inducing shape.....if it had the proper contours.

There are so many other topics that branch from this one it could you nuts.....:blink: