Predator 212 backfiring

MKW

I have a stage 1 Predator 212 that is backfiring when I try to crank it and will not start. Where should I start? Was running great last time I rode it.
Any help is appreciated.

Start by providing all the facts that you can so we have some information to go on. So it was running great and now it will not start. What happened in between it running great and now where it will not start? Did you shut the gas when you put it away, How long ago did it run great until now when it will not start. What is a stage one? Any little details between it running great and not running are important.

Start by providing all the facts that you can so we have some information to go on. So it was running great and now it will not start. What happened in between it running great and now where it will not start? Did you shut the gas when you put it away, How long ago did it run great until now when it will not start. What is a stage one? Any little details between it running great and not running are important.
Stage one, since I'm going to be doing that to my Hemi Predator, is simply an adapter on the carb for a 34mm air cleaner to replace the stock cleaner and an aftermarket exhaust pipe, sometimes with a hotdog or RLV muffler. Stage one kits also come with a larger main and pilot jet for the added flow replacing those rather restrictive components. Stage one kits sometimes come with the non-EPA adjustable carb as well, some don't. Typically the oil sensor is taken out of the kill switch circuit when this is done but the engine is supposed to remain governed.

As far as the "it doesn't run now" I get the feeling it probably sat for 3+ months with gas in the carb and varnished up. Which is why it's always a good idea to shut off the gas to the carb, run the carb dry or drain it. If the bike is going to sit for extended periods of time, like an entire 6 month winter, the tank should be drained and that gas burned in your snowblower. Or at the least put some fuel stabilizer in the tank and shake the bike back and forth to mix it in.

MKW

So, it was probably November, or so, when I last rode it. Stage one is as mentioned above (free flow air filter, 37 main jet, emulsion tube, and header with RLV mini), but none of that really matters since it has run well for several years. I did not run the carb dry when I last rode it, but I did remove and clean the bowl and the main jet and emulsion tube before trying to start it because figured it would need it. I have never used anything but real gas in it. And, we do not really have winters in coastal SC and I certainly don't have a snowblower, LOL. Actually, I've never seen one.
I plan to check the valve lash tomorrow along with the flywheel key and go from there.

You are on the right track. Spark plug first, if it doesn't start right up, check the flywheel key before you mess with valves.
I am about an hour north of you. I haven't ever seen a snowblower running.;)

Lizardking

Besides the spark plug, go through the carburetor again to make sure everything assembled correctly. You did say you already cleaned the carb out since last used. Too much fuel as well as too little fuel can cause backfire. Same symptoms as a failing spark plug.