Predator 212 build.

Hello, I have a predator 212 and I want to build it with a billet rod, cam, flywheel, valvesprings, air filter and header. What is the best cam? I don’t want to spend $100 on a cam honestly. Also how could I bump the compression up a bit? What length rod and head gasket will I need?

Thank you

Hemi or non hemi? You need to measure piston to deck depth and order the correct rod length to get closer to zero deck height that will raise compression. Also non hemi has a dished piston you can replace it with a flattop piston.

Hemi or non hemi? You need to measure piston to deck depth and order the correct rod length to get closer to zero deck height that will raise compression. Also non hemi has a dished piston you can replace it with a flattop piston.
Thank you for the reply! It is being shipped out Monday. It’s most likely going to be an non Hemi because Hemi are older correct? If it’s non Hemi can I replace the piston with a flat top and just do a stock length rod?

Yes hemi flattop has .020 shorter compression height. Hemi is not a older motor. Harbor freight has a few suppliers of motors. If you want a hemi you need to order by part number. When you get the motor let us know which pt # you have as they take different flywheels and some other parts.

Curious, why would you want to pick a mod2 cam? I know a few places push them on customers and kids buy them thinking they are great. There are better cams for $50 than the mod2... CL, CL220, CS, CM just to name a few. (sorry I don't have exact prices for them). A Black Mamba Jr is supposed to be a great cam too.
Use the search feature and read about the mod2, it isn't as great as people think it is for mini bikes...
You also have to know what rpm you WILL be running at. Not what peak rpm 'sounds' good to you. When someone says a peak rpm of 9000,
that may sound good to you but will your engine Actually turn that? I doubt it. Maybe a free rev with the wheel in the air but not with you on it and the wind resistance at speed.
You need to be practical when picking a cam. If you are looking for fast wheelie popping acceleration and low end grunt. Stay away from the high rpm cams. Those cams don't have low end grunt to get you going. Ever watch videos of 70-80 mph drag race mini bikes? They are using their feet to get them going because the huge cams don't have low end power or tq.
Are you going to be riding this around your house, up hills, playing around in fields etc? If so you need a cam with more low end grunt.
Please read up on cams before you just go buy a mod2 because you heard of it or because your friends "says" it is the best.
A lot has been written on cams. To many people go out and buy something they "think" or "heard" is best. Sure, the engine will run. You might think it is fast too, but, it would run better if the correct cam is used for your actual riding conditions and type of riding you do, set up, clutch or torque converter, gearing, tire size etc...
Also, if you are using a pull starter, make sure the cam you get has a compression release. Otherwise you will not be able to pull start it easily.
Just my opinions, other Will vary.
Danford1

PS Here is just ONE discussion on the mod2 cam. Keep in mind what is said about the mod2 being a go-kart cam :)
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/151514-mod-2-cam.html?highlight=mod2

Last edited:
Curious, why would you want to pick a mod2 cam? I know a few places push them on customers and kids buy them thinking they are great. There are better cams for $50 than the mod2... CL, CL 220, CS, CM to just name a few. (sorry I don't have exact prices for them). A Black Mamba Jr is supposed to be a great cam too.
Use the search feature and read about the mod2, it isn't as great as people think it is...
You also have to know what rpm you WILL be running at. Not what peak rpm 'sounds' good to you. When someone says a peak rpm of 9000,
that may sound good to you but will your engine Actually turn that? I doubt it. Maybe a free rev with the wheel in the air but not with you on it and the wind resistance at speed.
You need to be practical when picking a cam. If you are looking for fast wheelie popping acceleration and low end grunt. Stay away from the high rpm cams. Those cams don't have low end grunt to get you going. Ever watch videos of 70-80 mph drag race mini bikes? They are using their feet to get them going because the huge cams don't have low end power or tq.
Are you going to be riding this around your house, up hills, playing around in fields etc? If so you need a cam with more low end grunt.
Please read up on cams before you just go buy a mod2 because you heard of it or because your friends "says" it is the best.
A lot has been written on cams. To many people go out and buy something they "think" or "heard" is best. Sure, the engine will run. You might think it is fast too, but, it would run better if the correct cam is used for your actual riding conditions and type of riding you do, set up, clutch or torque converter, gearing, tire size etc...
Also, if you are using a pull starter, make sure the cam you get has a compression release. Otherwise you will not be able to pull start it easily.
Just my opinions, other Will vary.
Danford1

PS Here is just ONE discussion on the mod2 cam. Keep in mind what is said about the mod2 being a go-kart cam :)
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/mini-bike-discussion/151514-mod-2-cam.html?highlight=mod2
Thank you for the information amd the reply! I seen the mod 2 and did some research on it and found a lot of people using it and thought it was a good choice. I watched red beard garage on YouTube and seen he runs them and wanted a similar build to his. My goal for it is to rev high. I want a high revving motor. My go kart os geared low and I just want something to pull me in the higher rpm also. Maybe 6500-7500. I want it to scream. That’s my main goal honestly. I don’t race it. I just drive it around myproperty and woods. It gets run hard also. I hope this helps you to recommend a better choice!

Thank you for the information amd the reply! I seen the mod 2 and did some research on it and found a lot of people using it and thought it was a good choice. I watched red beard garage on YouTube and seen he runs them and wanted a similar build to his. My goal for it is to rev high. I want a high revving motor. My go kart os geared low and I just want something to pull me in the higher rpm also. Maybe 6500-7500. I want it to scream. That’s my main goal honestly. I don’t race it. I just drive it around myproperty and woods. It gets run hard also. I hope this helps you to recommend a better choice!��
6500-7500 is considered mild for these engines! 9000rpm is where the racers sit. I still vote for the CS.

OK, go kart.
Do you have a normal centrifugal clutch or a torque converter?
What diameter are the rear tires?
What is your current gear ratio?
You say you want it to scream rpm wise, do you just want top end speed with slow take off or do you want to feel hard acceleration right from a stop?
You may have to get different sprockets to have low end grunt and scream at high rpm.
I assume you want to run an open straight pipe as opposed to a muffler. I hope the neighbors are very far away if using an open straight pipe.
We need a lot more info on what you have and want from it. A cam choice is critical to getting everything you want from the engine, not just by going what red beard does. Remember, he is sponsored by Go Power Sports. They give him parts for free and he is more or less obligated to "say" they are great. That doesn't mean the mod2 is great... it just means GPS gave it to him...
Here is some more reading for you. Read all 8 pages and you may learn a bit more, it has a lot of good info spread through the thread..
Cheers
Danford1
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator/97671-cam-predator.html

Last edited:
I know you said you don't want to spend $100 on a cam. I understand, that is what a new Predator costs...
This in my opinion, others will vary, would be a good cam to go with if you can get more money.
NRracing 280 cam. 0.280 lift, 220 duration, 7500 rpm. Part number 280-0611. $99.99 Plus you need 26 lb valve springs.
You would need to pick if you have a Hemi or Non Hemi when ordering.
If you decide to go this route, call them, they can recommend the best cam to meet your set up and desires.
Danford1
https://www.nrracing.com/product-p/200cam-280.htm

Last edited:
OK, go kart.
Do you have a normal centrifugal clutch or a torque converter?
What diameter are the rear tires?
What is your current gear ratio?
You say you want it to scream rpm wise, do you just want top end speed with slow take off or do you want to feel hard acceleration right from a stop?
You may have to get different sprockets to have low end grunt and scream at high rpm.
I assume you want to run an open straight pipe as opposed to a muffler. I hope the neighbors are very far away if using an open straight pipe.
We need a lot more info on what you have and want from it. A cam choice is critical to getting everything you want from the engine, not just by going what red beard does. Remember, he is sponsored by Go Power Sports. They give him parts for free and he is more or less obligated to "say" they are great. That doesn't mean the mod2 is great... it just means GPS gave it to him...
Here is some more reading for you. Read all 8 pages and you may learn a bit more, it has a lot of good info spread through the thread..
Cheers
Danford1
https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/honda-clone-predator/97671-cam-predator.html

Hey brother I have a torque converter, 10t sprocket with a 60t drive sprocket I believe. My tire is a 16x8-7. Well I honestly want both lol. Is it possible to get something that has the high revving but still has low end tq? I actually want to run a muffler. I high flow one though. Straight pipe is just too loud . Haha yes sir I know what you mean about red beard. I figured the same after reading on parts but a couple people on Facebook said to go by his vids so that where I got that from. I will absolutely read that. Thank you!

I also included a picture of my drive sprocket since I can’t seem to find how many teeth it is. My carts name is a black widow by American sports E2D1DCD7-E454-4DE2-9458-0EAF2C28B725.png works btw.

Hey brother I have a torque converter, 10t sprocket with a 60t drive sprocket I believe. My tire is a 16x8-7. Well I honestly want both lol. Is it possible to get something that has the high revving but still has low end tq? I actually want to run a muffler. I high flow one though. Straight pipe is just too loud . Haha yes sir I know what you mean about red beard. I figured the same after reading on parts but a couple people on Facebook said to go by his vids so that where I got that from. I will absolutely read that. Thank you!

I also included a picture of my drive sprocket since I can’t seem to find how many teeth it is. My carts name is a black widow by American sports View attachment 106259 works btw.
Your gearing sounds pretty good to me. I'm a TAV guy through and through and you'll able to get what you want out of it if you mod it.