Predator engine block on eBay...

I intend to build up a predator engine this winter...
I have found some predator engine blocks that are already disassembled and empty of the internal engine parts..
I'm confused as to why someone would buy a new predator engine, remove all the internal parts and then sell the empty block on eBay...
Wouldn't this be the way to go for someone intending to build this engine from the ground up?
I originally thought I'd just buy one from Harbor Freight and then dismantle it, but then I'd be stuck with parts i wouldn't be using...
So my two questions are, why would they be selling empty blocks on eBay and does it sound like a good starting point for building a highly upgraded motor?

Hello. I’ll jump in.
Question #1: I don’t know.
Question #2: No, I would buy a new engine.
Consider how close the operator is to the running engine. A failure from an unknown defect could be catastrophic with a high performance engine running at higher than normal RPMs, under a higher load than normal.
Hope this helps,
SAT

I have put motors together piece by piece and it is cheaper to start with a complete motor unless you have something to steal all the little parts from like cooling tin and bolts. Every time you order things you have to pay for shipping and it adds up. Better off selling the parts you don't need. Last block I bought I paid $40 for it plus shipping. That's 1/3 the price of a new motor.

And with the bare block for sale, you have to ask yourself, "How did they come to have a bare block?"
I guess they could be buying an engine, a selling it off piecemeal, maybe making something from doing that. Or did something happen to their engine and the block was all that was maybe/maybe not salvageable? Stripped threads, damaged bearing mounts, scored cylinder, too many maybe's for me. I'm with the group on buying a complete engine.

Yeah... You are all right.... I'm not buying a bare block... "Too many unknown factors could be at play".
And any parts taken from the new engine could potentially be used as spare parts..
Now I just need to buy the Hemi predator to start the disassembly...
IF all goes as planned, I should have a good winter project ahead of me..

I really appreciate all the input from you guys.... Thanks!

You’ve got the HF Hemi predators sorted-out, right? There are three different 212cc engines with 3 different item numbers. The Hemi valve cover is cast aluminum or pot metal with a pebble finish. The other two models have stamped steel covers.

Good idea to start with new motor or complete motor. I would recommend keeping your parts you take off like the rod, and cam so if you ever have an issue you can put it back together for a temp fix if needed. You never know when your going to come across an old motor that needs a rebuild either.

Yes.... My intention was to buy the Hemi Predator... I knew there was a California compliant model without the Hemi head... Didn't know about a third model, but I intend to avoid that one too in favor of the Hemi model...
I have the Hemi model number written down somewhere and that's what I was going to go by...

And yes, that was also my intention... To have spare parts from the engine rebuild to use in case of emergency.
Although I do also understand that certain parts won't be usable in the upgraded motor...

Still haven't got the predator yet, but I did just attempt to clean the carb on my stage one upgraded Baja Warrior..
It sputters momentarily when you apply WOT....I didn't do the upgrades to this engine, so I'm not sure if the carb was rejetted when the header and air filter upgrades were installed.
Apparently the jet does not have any markings on it to distinguish what size it is.... Therefore, I assume I'll have to just start from scratch with attempting to find the other jet..
Of course my carb cleaning only consisted of pulling the main jet and emulsion tube and cleaning those and the float bowl...
I haven't had a chance to run it yet to see if that made any difference... My guess is I'll need to buy a couple Jets to experiment with.... Or drill out the existing jet...