Ptedator 212 engine build question

Removing governor is frowned upon. We do not suggest it. A billet rod and flywheel are strongly recommended before you remove the governor.
Don't even open the engine until you get that billet rod.
I think that is the official answer. Some people do it anyway, but they rely on the stock valve springs to float the valves to prevent over rev.
So, what you are suggesting is a pretty hard NO, Not OK.

Removing governor is frowned upon. We do not suggest it. A billet rod and flywheel are strongly recommended before you remove the governor.
Don't even open the engine until you get that billet rod.
I think that is the official answer. Some people do it anyway, but they rely on the stock valve springs to float the valves to prevent over rev.
So, what you are suggesting is a pretty hard NO, Not OK.
How come in Youtube videos they rev it to like in the 6000 without billet rod.

Attachments

I am building a predator 212 hemi and I took out the governor and was going to put in 22pound valve springs with a upgraded flywheel with a nibbi 24. I was wondering if I will be OK with that heavy of valve springs without a billet rod. And if you are wondering why I did not get a rod I am saving up for one.
I still have to say no, because the rules say so.

Sorry about the post please don't ban me. I did not know you could not talk about removing governors without parts. But I get it now. Sorry to cause the trouble.

That would depend on the cam and the weight of the valves.
The camshaft that you buy will have a little card with it, telling you about spring height, pressure, all that important stuff.
But, yeah, 22 pounds sound pretty good to me, but go with the cam card specs.
Personally, I try to buy cam, springs, retainers and shims all in one kit from one manufacturer.
I hope that helps.

Last edited:
Sorry if I sound like your Dad.
I have a question.
When I have the side cover off and the spark plug out I put my thumb on the spark plug hole and there is suction but there is a slight hissing sound that emits out into the area were the rod is and stuff. Is that's supposed to happen? Or is that leaky rings?

Yes. Your rings are actually sealed by the oil splashing in the engine when it is running. There is always a small amount or blow-by, but when the piston is moving up and down a few times a second, that is not enough to worry about. That is because there is a gap in each ring.

Yes. Your rings are actually sealed by the oil splashing in the engine when it is running. There is always a small amount or blow-by, but when the piston is moving up and down a few times a second, that is not enough to worry about. That is because there is a gap in each ring.
I just got the flywheel. Here is the link https://www.ebay.com/itm/1346713570...y_bnfliqdg&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY What should the coil be set to. It did not come with a card and it has 28degrees built in timing.