Rebuild baja forks

Is it possible to rebuild baja forks? Mine are very spongy and one clearly has no fluid. Does anyone sell new seals for these?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

MB165

you can pull them apart, they are just standard damping rod type forks.....all you can do is clean them up and add oil, be sure not too much maybe a few ounces

Just did my MB-165 yesterday. Per other posts here I used a Yamaha TTR90 (2000-2007) seal. There are others you can use but this Yamaha one seems to be very common was available on ebay. You will need to remove the forks from the bike so you can get at everything and to dump out the old oil. There is a socket head screw on both the top and bottom of each tube that need to be removed. Many people here seem to like to use a thicker oil for a stiffer shock. For oil I used 51ml of type F tranny fluid in each tube. This has a ISO of around 42. Search this forum and you will find many posts about the subject. Dont over fill.

Last edited:
Can stiffer fork springs be installed?
I'd like to rebuild mine with thicker oil and stiffer springs.
I've been thinking about replacing the clone motor with a genuine Honda GX340.
The extra weight of the bigger engine, plus the rider, would make stiffer springs a great idea.

Last edited:
Ive changed the forks and triple tree on my sons Warrior. Used a Honda XR75 set up but it does require some machining to replace the center stem. In my case I had to remove the Baja center stem, which is longer and wider, from my stock set up and cold press and weld it onto the Honda lower suspension bracket. PITA to do but it works nice and allows for a larger thinner tire and rim, front Honda drum brake and with a little work a Honda gear driven speedometer. He loves it and it has a nice look. Add in the real tank and wider rear tire and its a whole new feel.

Ive changed the forks and triple tree on my sons Warrior. Used a Honda XR75 set up but it does require some machining to replace the center stem. In my case I had to remove the Baja center stem, which is longer and wider, from my stock set up and cold press and weld it onto the Honda lower suspension bracket. PITA to do but it works nice and allows for a larger thinner tire and rim, front Honda drum brake and with a little work a Honda gear driven speedometer. He loves it and it has a nice look. Add in the real tank and wider rear tire and its a whole new feel.
Any pictures you can post of this swap????

Doug

Just did my MB-165 yesterday. Per other posts here I used a Yamaha TTR90 (2000-2007) seal. There are others you can use but this Yamaha one seems to be very common was available on ebay. You will need to remove the forks from the bike so you can get at everything and to dump out the old oil. There is a socket head screw on both the top and bottom of each tube that need to be removed. Many people here seem to like to use a thicker oil for a stiffer shock. For oil I used 51ml of type F tranny fluid in each tube. This has a ISO of around 42. Search this forum and you will find many posts about the subject. Dont over fill.
I ordered these seals and they do not fit my baja warrior forks. Too small of a diameter to seal . Anyone have any other suggestions?

To give a little more detail, (I should of took pictures ) I'm trying to replace leaking fork seals in a baja warrior mb200, I ordered ttr90 fork seals 2000-2008, the inner diameter seal against the shaft is perfect, but the fork seal isn't large enough to press into the fork and it's not tall enough to seal against the snap ring. It just floats around. Can anyone suggest a larger seal? I destroyed the first seal hopefully I get get the other one out intact to size up

MB165

the stock forks suck, I got tired of the clink clink bottoming noise and installed these Honda xr80 forks. I think pre 1980 the kind with the axle on the bottom. lots of them on ebay. it was a tight fit in all the way to the top... I shouldnt have done that. instead of drilling and reaming all that tube, you should be able to cut most of the lower triple tube away, since the longer fork tube will go all the way to the top triple plate
DSCF2171.JPG

stock internals:
DSCF0004.JPG

the stock forks suck, I got tired of the clink clink bottoming noise and installed these Honda xr80 forks. I think pre 1980 the kind with the axle on the bottom. lots of them on ebay. it was a tight fit in all the way to the top... I shouldnt have done that. instead of drilling and reaming all that tube, you should be able to cut most of the lower triple tube away, since the longer fork tube will go all the way to the top triple plate
View attachment 101520

stock internals:
View attachment 101519
I'll keep this in mind if I can't find replacement seals. I already have way too much money invested in this project

I found a set of 1980 xr forks for $40 shipped and bought them. Any more detail info you could give me about installing them would be great

MB165

you could measure the seals if there's no numbers on them, if you know the dimensions (metric) ID OD and thickness you can type them in a web search and get tons of results. allballs.com has a dimensional cross reference as well.

the forks will only fit into the clamps about 2 inches then hit the seam inside the tube. Unless you can ream the entire tube cut it off above clamp and allow the new upper/inner tube to slide all the way up to the top clamp. theres even a threaded hole in the new forks to bolt up to the top plate.

Got the xr80 forks in the mail today, should of expected they would need a rebuild even though the ebay add said they were good to go.

Rebuilt the baja warrior forks over the holiday these metric fork seals were a perfect match. The mb165 forks must come with smaller outer diameter fork tube the ttr90 seals aren't big enough for the warrior. Used 50-51 ml of fork oil I had laying around. Forks are much firmer feeling.