Rebuilding a 3HP Briggs *Photos*

Those are some of the easiest engines ever, to start, Adding a starter (if there even is an option) and a battery would be about the same weight as your engine. What type of "small mini bike" are you planning to install it into?
Not sure. The plan is for it to be something my wife can ride, hence the interest in an electric start.. Not to mention, I think it would be kind of cool.

Looks like you have a 2 quart gas tank? Pick up tube I think is p/n : 497413S. !?!
If your tank is bad inside I use Evapo-rust and rinse with boiling water. Boiling water keeps the flash rust from popping up.
Rinsed? dump some WD-40 in there, you can always add some gas and slosh it around to clean it out before instillation of carb.

https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-Original-contains-non-toxic-biodegradable/dp/B00M0TLQ66/ref=sr_1_1?adgrpid=1342504268848299&hvadid=83906588931772&hvbmt=bp&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=44148&hvnetw=o&hvqmt=p&hvtargid=kwd-83906877098290:loc-190&hydadcr=8426_10832893&keywords=evapo-rust&qid=1693520037&sr=8-1

Last edited:
I was actually planning on using muriatic acid. The tank is really bad inside. I've done this before on old tanks, just have to neutralize the acid quickly after washing it out.

I'll check out Evapo Rust

I may have run into a slight issue. The crank gear does not have a mark for the cam. My engine had a bearing on it. Some guy on Youtube said the timing mark would be behind the bearing. So, I pulled the bearing off. No mark behind it.

There is a mark on the crank itself, but it's too far away to know how to line up the gears exactly.

IMG_6788.jpg

IMG_6789.jpg

IMG_6790.jpg

I would clean the crank gear really well and mark the gear tooth that is closest to that mark with a sharpie marker.
Does that mark correspond with the keyway in the crank? Like opposite, maybe?

Disregard... I figured it out now. It just lines up differently than engines that don't have the bearing. This video more or less explains it:

Here it is in a Briggs manual I forgot I had laying around.

IMG_6791.jpg

The Tarylfixes all guy on Youtube said the mark would be behind the bearing. That is incorrect. Just letting people know in case someone Googles this in the future trying to figure it out.

that would be a nice engine for a century series Lil Indian. I have 1968 Lil Indian service paperwork. It has small drawing that shows how the carb throttle is set up on that carb. Prety much just an added spring for throttle return. Everything else is the same as what you have. If someone has a fax I can send it to I will. For them to post. Currently I cannot upload pics to my computer.
Joe51

Last edited:
that would be a nice engine for a century series Lil Indian. I have 1968 Lil Indian service paperwork. It has small drawing that shows how the carb throttle is set up on that carb. Prety much just an added spring for throttle return. Everything else is the same as what you have. If someone has a fax I can send it to I will. For them to post. Currently I cannot upload pics to my computer.
Joe51
I'm willing to give it a shot. I know of a free service that can reserve an inbound number for 24 hours at a time to receive fax to my email. I have a number currently (833) 968-2430 reserved till about 8:30 pm tomorrow 9/2/2023. If that timeframe doesn't work out I can get a new number. Currently that is good for up to 25 pages a month since I'm cheap and that plan is $0. Once I get it I'll post to the thread.

Thepaetsguy

Don’t hone that bore.. I have honed one coolbore engine in my life. Used a stone hone not knowing what I was doing. It made the bore scratchy and the piston wouldn’t move freely up and down in the bore anymore.

Minimichael

Don’t hone that bore.. I have honed one coolbore engine in my life. Used a stone hone not knowing what I was doing. It made the bore scratchy and the piston wouldn’t move freely up and down in the bore anymore.
Why do I feel like I've heard conflicting advice on this subject?

I'm using a 600 grit ball hone. I don't think about 5 seconds each direction will do too much damage. But, yes you definitely have to be careful.

We'll see what happens. Worst case, I can have the cyl bored out if I wreck it.

Last edited:
Well, I think may have to buy another tank. It will full of so much crap I couldn't believe it. It was about 1/3rd full of scale. When tapping some of gunk out, it pushed the gas fill in. So, I think I need a new tank. Unfortunately, these look to be about $100...Making me want to reconsider retaining the stock style carb/tank.