removing tank brackets?

i'm getting a new tank in the next few days (thanks GTO) and want to remove the brackets for the stock tank. what's the best way to go about doing this?

just cut them off and grind shit down? that's what i'm thinking for now.

i know some of you guys have done this, so i'd like to hear how you did it.

mcbob

Just b careful you don't cause an explosion even it it has been dry a a short while grinding fuel tanks is a risky business

Mc Bob.

the tank will be off the motor. i want to get rid of the ugly mounts for the tank that are part of the case.

if you've pulled the stock tank off a clone motor you'll know what i'm talking about.

Just picked one of those up myself, looks pretty good. Shipping cost was alittle high in my opinion unless thats for overnight shipping?

the shipping does seem high. it could be shipped usps priority mail (3 days) for less than that. it's not worth bitching about to save a few dollars though. when it seems a bit high, i just consider it a handling fee. he does have to package it (supplies cost money) and drive to the post office.

the shipping does seem high. it could be shipped usps priority mail (3 days) for less than that. it's not worth bitching about to save a few dollars though. when it seems a bit high, i just consider it a handling fee. he does have to package it (supplies cost money) and drive to the post office.
I wasn't really bitchin about the shipping charge, only stating it's seemed alittle high. Strigoi, I don't know where your getting your cardboard boxes & tape but if it's costing you more then $5 for a part of this size then your getting ripped off. If your just ignorant to the cost, well then I got a bridge in London I wanna sell you real cheap???

PS: My piss is worth more then $11.00, so I don't think paying the shipping cost if gonna effect me very much :drinkup:

I would use a steel plate for the mounts ,,,,,, what else is going to protect your balls if the rod blows. :thumbsup:

I was going to mount the same tank there but was worried about it shaking gas out of the cap hole.

Strigoi, I don't know where your getting your cardboard boxes & tape but if it's costing you more then $5 for a part of this size then your getting ripped off.
i've done damn near 4,000 transactions on ebay (99% as a seller, i spend 8 hours a day doing this stuff) so i know what it costs to ship stuff. asking an extra $5 for packing materials, gas and time spent shipping is ok with me. if it's someone that only does this stuff on the side i'm even more ok with it. i've got all the materials at my work to do this so it's not more than packing an item (takes less than a minute for most items) and printing out a shipping label or walking it down to our shipping/receiving guy (for UPS).

i hate paying more than actual cost for shipping when i buy things (i always refund people if they pay more. happy customers = repeat cusomters) but i understand why some people do. the same goes for giving people killer deals (under cost) at times.

i don't know if you've ever had to buy large boxes. i needed to buy some for a couple of Thunderheaders i had and the boxes were $15 each. if you need to buy the stuff to ship it can add up. box, tape, packing materials, my time, shipping/receiving guy time, ebay fees, paypal fees. that can easily be $50+ on something that sells for $300-400.

that got a bit long winded. :laugh:

Last edited:
I am not sure why you are grinding the aluminum brackets however if you go to: Affordable Go Karts - Home page - AGK - http://www.affordablegokarts.com and see how Shane mounted a plate to hold the fuel pump. This is a slick set up if the bracket is not in the way of something else?? Click on the bottom right pic to go to the gallery.

Never take a chance of grinding a gas tank that is not brand new! George Chabot's father learned the hard way! We called him left eye! George Chabot built the motocross tracks along with Walt James at Indian Dunes in Saugus CA. He drove the tractor and designed both Shadow Glen and International Motocross tracks>>> Bring back any memories??

Replace damaged tanks!!! :weld: explodes in your face

TT

i would not be grinding the tank. the tank would be 15 miles away from the motor if i do this (i'll worry about zombies before i worry about the tank exploding at that point). i was asking about grinding the mounts off the case. the last i checked, the case doesn't hold the gas.

i've done damn near 4,000 transactions on ebay (99% as a seller, i spend 8 hours a day doing this stuff) so i know what it costs to ship stuff. asking an extra $5 for packing materials, gas and time spent shipping is ok with me. if it's someone that only does this stuff on the side i'm even more ok with it. i've got all the materials at my work to do this so it's not more than packing an item (takes less than a minute for most items) and printing out a shipping label or walking it down to our shipping/receiving guy (for UPS).

i hate paying more than actual cost for shipping when i buy things (i always refund people if they pay more. happy customers = repeat cusomters) but i understand why some people do. the same goes for giving people killer deals (under cost) at times.

i don't know if you've ever had to buy large boxes. i needed to buy some for a couple of Thunderheaders i had and the boxes were $15 each. if you need to buy the stuff to ship it can add up. box, tape, packing materials, my time, shipping/receiving guy time, ebay fees, paypal fees. that can easily be $50+ on something that sells for $300-400.

that got a bit long winded. :laugh:
I understand the cost involved. I used to have to fullfill packing list for my clients that entailed shipping millions of dollars worth of product on a daily basis all across the globe. All I was really getting at is ship the product for what it actually cost to ship the item. Don't blow the cost of shipping way up, increase the price of the item your selling to account for the additional time & materials. I would of rather seen the actual item priced at $20.00 & the shipping $5.00

It's just alittle strange to me that an item cost $15 & the shipping is $11? Now if it was some oversized piece I could understand. Most shipping companies will charge an extra fee for packages over a specific size. No problem though, I'm cool with the total cost involved to have something unique that another hobbiest is putting out there to better our toys :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well I got my plate in the mail today. It will work, but I was alittle disappointed. The angle of the bends aren't really what you would call exact & it doesn't come pre drilled for it to be a direct bolt on. But I will say once you get done making it fit correctly, it looks pretty darn good all polished up.

All in all I would say it was worth purchasing, but if I wasn't such a lazy I ass I could of went to Home Depot or Lowes & accomplished the same thing with alot better fit... Either way, I'm gonna give him good feedback because it is everything he said it was & it didn't take forever to get here :thumbsup:

i still haven't bought one. i might be buying another frame today and i want to pick up a carb and some other things first.

i think i'll probably get one eventually. i'm just not sure what i'd mount on it.

do you have any pics of it installed without anything mounted to it?

not at all. their worth every penny i think, and asking 5 dollars for shipping is not bad at all because the bubble wrap envelope he uses cost 1.50 and then gas their and back you are actually getting a good deal. i don't see why someone would complain.

and yes the holes are not drill but that because some people like to choose where they sit. and if the bend is slightly off all you have to do is step on it. its not that hard.:eek:ut:

:thumbsup: