Replacement for Flo Jet carb

Mr. Pink

Reminds me of this guy with his 5" gauge gas locomotive. Runs on a 3.5 HP Briggs flathead, so it's still on topic. It's the Mini bike of the rails!

Way cool!

The guy also has a coal fired, steam powered mini locomotive.

He needs to fabricate automated crossing gates where the tracks cross over the sidewalk.

I've often thought about putting in a couple of miniature golf holes in the yard, but this train seems like more fun.

Like I really need another project my plate.

Sorry for hijacking the Flo Jet topic.

Well definitely been rebuilt a few times, twice by me, what does the nozzle actually do, does it prevent leaking?
The right nozzle will make it run better. Using the right tap to clean the threads and make the nozzle seat better may prevent leaking. Leak is most likely the needle and seat.

Minimichael, I like that PV19, worth a shot for the money, right now we have another issue to resolve, American Bosch AB33 magneto was also submerged in sea water, so that requires some TLC for the moment.
Thanks

Minimichael

Of course, if you went with a pz19 or other modern slide carb, you'd almost certainly have to navigate new demands for mods. I'm thinking fuel provision issues like gravity feed vs. pumped, and throttle control. (I notice your throttle control is already established with the red rod and actuator wheel.) Might be more reconnoitering than you'd want to embark upon, and it might even prove a little too responsive for what might otherwise be that perfect, lazy little chugger to the north pole. I think your best bet is an alternative old-timey carb that would work better and more reliably for your engine.

Sea water, huh? Ouch. Did the polar express see a hurricane? All of us are counting on you, Santa. Please keep us updated here on the magneto problem :scooter:

Yes it did see a hurricane, Ina, we had close to 3’ of water in our shop area, all but 1 locomotive was under sea water, everything was disassembled and flushed out except for the little one lung which I am picking away at , luckily it’s fairly simple , tank was a real mess and still is, carb needs replacing, sat with sea water in it, I have fully disassembled the mag cleaned it up inside everything turns smoothly now, don’t know if it worked prior to the event or not.

Hi, back again, I recently got the magneto squared away so now we are back to finding a carb other than the Flo Jet.
More thoughts.
Thanks

Good morning, I am thinking of trying to use an aftermarket replacement for the Flo Jet it would mean that I could possibly use the existing linkage which would be a plus.
Any thoughts?
Thanks

These 2 Flo Jets are beyond repair, one was attempted but the was too much corrosion from Seawater, next attempt will be to use the existing manifold and a different carb, I don’t know why I would need an updraft, of course the control linkage will have to be modified .
Cheers! IMG_4393.png

Last edited: