Restoring old 3hps

if i have time tomorrow ill take a reduction off to check, usually its only four bolts right? from the looks of it they are oil filled. I just looked at the pics again and I have to take the gear off and the reduction housing before i can get to were the 4 bolts are.

What are the year ranges for part swapping? can I use any 3 hp briggs crank?
where can I find OEM parts?

And just so I know, where can I find model info on the block itself? some of the shrouds do not have any info on them.

thanks guys for the info.

Nice older Briggs you have there.. If you want to sell that square chrome air filter cover on the engine in the last couple of pics, let me know.. I can even give you a new black plastic one to replace it with. I've been looking for one of those for about the last year or so..

-Marc

That info should be stamped into the shroud. It may be obscured by dirt or rust, but a wire brush will make them readable. I'm not sure of the year ranges for that gearcase, but if they all look the same, they should be doable. I used the one model number you posted to find what you have. B&S has the info online. Go to their home page, select the "support" drop down, and hit "manuals". You will be prompted to enter model and type. You should be able to download the user's and parts manuals in pdf form.

And do keep us posted!

I had time today to take one down a bit.

I also took the shrouds off to get a better view of the numbers.

two of them 80252 046201 77082603, the other one is the same except its a 78 insted of 77.

A shroud on one, someone had grinded away a bit and I couldnt get numbers but i got the 77.

the silver one (the one I was most interested in) had no stamping on the shroud at all:shrug: it had B&S parts on it and the block had to be B&S I dont know where else to find numbers.

I went to the B&S site and tried to look these numbers up and i couldnt get anything to work, I do not know what I was doing wrong.

So I need atleast 4 new cranks with a keyed shaft.

Sweet engine! This looks like the same engine that was on my New Taco 22 back around 1970. Let me know if you want to sell it. Thanks.

I wouldnt spend too much on them. Similar Year models 3hp briggs, that run. Have a keyed crank shaft, and do not have gear reduction sell for $30 to $50.

You would probably be better off parting them out.

Last edited:
yea im aware that they arent really desirable because of the shaft style.

a lot of people on here also rebuild them.

someone may want to teach their kid something about these motors, i do not know.

But either way these motors are good starting points.

I wasnt planning on making money on these, id rather see them go to someone whos going to use them somehow instead of melting them..

Im just looking for a fair offer on them.

I dont have time to put into them thats why im keeping two for myself.

there IS a possibility i can drain/clean them and ship one. Just understand that ive never shipped anything so Id have to get help from my older brother or something.

Maybe I should try and sell them for what they are instead of as minibike motors:shrug:

didnt even think of that.

But still available to you guys first id rather see them on bikes.

gbones

what about parting them out? im sure some members could use some of the parts. i for 1 would be interested in the breather tube that goes from the block to the carb.

Now your talking. I would put a new $2 diaphram and a $1.00 plug in them fire em up and throw one on ebay as what it was used for. add $18-25 for fed ex shipping.show them with the brackets and accessories.
They may go for good money and you can get them running.
Save the one with all the goodies until you see what the value can be.
Maybe I should try and sell them for what they are instead of as minibike motors:shrug:

didnt even think of that.

But still available to you guys first id rather see them on bikes.

The more i think about it the more those motors may be worth. It would be great to create a whole working laddervators.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3IF5W5bHFY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

A 1.5 hp electric laddervator goes for over 2,000 and you would have to have electricity.
Your briggs could also be used to convert from a weak electrical system to a powerful gas system.

Right motor your just on the wrong forum.

Last edited:
Ok, about parting one out.

I was pretty certain that parts should NOT be interchanged after they've been run inside of one block. unless you get new bearings

I have(had) a family of hotrodders that got me into this stuff but I was around car engines so thats why im under that impression. Forgive me I havent opened the bottom end of a small motor in a while.

I know my brother has taken honda 200s (on compressors) apart because of dropped valves and just swapped the head with an old used one that i had laying around, didnt even torque anything down and hasnt had problems in over a year.??? he was just at wits end and didnt care what happened to the motors.

I know theres other things though, like the head, carb, sidecover. but then im left with guts and a case.

Used valves? cam? springs? could I just polish the valves and have them ready for a sale?

and this was for the two newer ones out of the four.

:laugh: man that laddervator is a dog!!

Ive used the same model as the ones I have now and itll go 2 stories with a bundle of shingles( 80-100lbs) in about 6 seconds. theyre rated at 250lbs

My bro is a roofing contractor so Ive been around the compressors and laddervators.

I know the new honda 4hp motors with the reduction is like $800

these are just as good but i wasnt expecting a fraction of that for the both of them if i sold them

This one here is more of how it performs.......Just the guy loading is doing two bundles of textured shingles that weigh 75lbs each and you can here that hes straining the unit. the one i use do not bog down like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN3DLOmRAzU&feature=related

Last edited:
Get three ladders and build a cab for people to ride in. Heck ill pay $5 to take a ride on that one you showed. Lol
I think you could get them running easy!!!
If they are diaphram carbs,,,, that will be the issue.

You would have the fun of getting them to run; then sell them as replacement motors. i think they are pretty cool.

Make a back yard roller coaster out of them. You could have 4 ramp ups/ drops on one ride!!! Lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF6irUskuUY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Last edited:
My god that looks really safe:laugh:

I used to work at a lawnmower shop when I was in highschool (8yrs?) and im pretty mechanically inclined otherwise..

I used tune up these motors all the time, which was rebuilding carbs, timing key check, replace idle/governor springs, sharpening blades, etc. Whatever people brought in the shop with an engine I worked on it. from 2hp edgers to 24hp kawasaki/scag tractors.

of course it was an ideal working situation with a power lift, air tools, degreaser tank, every little custom tool, all supplies.

Id like to get around to tinkering with one of these i just dont have time and extra money.

I bet I could simply pour gas in one and it will start. even though they were in storage, they were still checked out every year or so for maintenance. let me see what happens....

good news for me i guess...

I dug the two older ones out....

checked oil, gas still in the tank from december. poured some gas in the carbs and they started right away. I did have to get the carbs primed, so i had to pour more gas in the carb and start it again.... Next thing you know I have two perfectly idling motors that are responsive to throttle.

SO, they run great. The other unit i took the reduction off previously so i didnt want to get involved with that. and the other one somehow was upside down and oil got in the combustion chamber:doah: so i put them away and had at it with the older ones.
But i dont know too much about the oil so im not going to start them again.