Rough seas!

Rough seas : I remember then the super carrier USS Kitty Hawk got chased out to sea by a huge typhoon and at just over 1000 feet long with a normal 35 foot of draft. I was told to go down to #1 pump room and that is the lowest most forward livable space on that ship it was in between the two anchor chain lockers. I got down to the pump room and made some switches to the fresh water supply tanks. I could hardly stand up as the ship was heading direct into the storm and the ship was rising way up onto the oncoming waves it felt like were were dropping 8 to 10 feet at a wack and when I got ready to go up the stairs and through the scuttle in the hatch I just pooped up through the scuttle like a jack in the box just no music only the roar of the pounding sea. That was the worst that I ever encountered at sea.
Steve:scooter:

Probably a normal Northern blow on the Sea of Japan on the Vladavostok run. The seas aren't abnormally rough, it's the fact that the shipper and the mate didn't ensure the cargo was tied down.

why would they go out to sea with a bunch of unsecured cars on a flat deck? that truck was in neutral just rolling around:eek:ut:

why would they go out to sea with a bunch of unsecured cars on a flat deck? that truck was in neutral just rolling around:eek:ut:
They probably were secured. Just not secured adequately. It happens often. Amongst the cruising sail boaters, there are plenty of stories of boats hitting 40 foot long cargo containers and cracking hulls.

Time spent in port is money lost, and everyone is under pressure to get underway. Insurance companies cover the loss. These few cars probably didn't amount to more than 800 US per vehicle. Chicken feed in the scheme of things.