Rupp Centaur questions

myjunk

I have taken quite a leap going from Moto Skeeters to a Rupp Centaur 2. I know, they are not a mini bike, but it sure looks like fun. I would like to know if there is anyone out there that has a vast knowledge of the Centaur. I have a 1975 with some very unusuall features and would like to be able to speak with fellow owners. Thank you I can be reached at shooksd@torchlake.com

myjunk

Hi Steve, I just picked up a 1975 Centaur. My questions have to do with, first the title. It is listed as a Centaur 2, how does that differ from a centaur? Second, It was built in Oct of 1974, then in July of 1975 it had modifications made to it at the Rupp factory, there is a sticker on the side stating that. I am assuming it was to add a roll bar, different rear bumper, dual exhaust and perhaps a custom paint job.I have not been able to find any others like it. The person I purchased it from was the second owner and he thought it was a Rupp display model as it was sold directly to the customer from the Rupp factory, I have a copy of the original title. However I cannot verify that it was a display. It was sold in Aug of 1975. I would be happy to add a couple of pictures if this would help. Thanks for the help.

myjunk

OK here is a picture, sorry about the quality of it as it is a picture of a picture. I bought the trike disassembled. I can take other pictures but it is laying all over my shop!
This is how it looks put together. Looking forward to your replies

Well your sure in a class by your self. To me ( I was a Rupp Dealer but never sold any Centaurs ) that roll bar is just about as ugly as mud . The classic lines of the Centaur are covered up by this contraption. As for rear bumpers they did make 2 different ones they both were a long oval and the 1974 had a flat plate for the license plate and two lights to show the plate numbers. the 1975 had a recessed box for the plate to sit into. I have seen just about every thing ever tried with a Centaur and dual exhaust would have nothing to do for meeting vehicle standards. What is the engine in the trike now ?
I would like to see more pictures of the seating in the body. Because I do not see a place for the passenger to put their legs with the roll bar in place.
Steve :scooter:

myjunk

Well ,
:confused:here is a picture of the rear bumper, as you can see it is not either of the ones you were speaking of, again I believe this was added when they Modified it at the factory. As you can see in the picture the original 340 Kohler engine is in the box. I still would like to know if there was a difference in calling this a Centaur 2 instead of just a Centaur. Steve, I am not so sure I would go as far as calling someones bike "as ugly as dirt". And as far as the dual exhaust gos, I dont really think noise pollution, or for that matter safety was that high on their list back in 1975. Thanks for all your help

Well I was just saying my opinion of what Rupp did to the classic lines of the Centaur.
As for you it is somthing that you bought. If you built it I would never comment one way or the other. And yes the back bumper is not like any thing I have ever seen on any of the hundreds of Rupps I have seen in the last 10 years. I still would like to see more pictures of the body.
Steve :scooter:

myjunk

Steve, You and I need to sit down and have a couple of beers, I have a hunch we could be pretty good friends. Sorry about getting my feathers ruffled. I would love to show you more pictures, but they will have to be of the trike disassembled, thats the way I bought it. The only pictures I have of it somewhat assembled, I already posted. I am working on it but I suspect it will take me a couple of years, darn work keeps getting in the way!

That one looks like has two seats which was the biggest one Mickey Rupp's factor made in Mansfield, Ohio. That is the difference most of 5-7 sizes where single seats of Rupp's threewheelers. Not many left of those two seater and correct those where remodifided for specail cleints of Mickey Rupp's owner and maker of the Rupp's Threewheelers. If every want to sell it please e-mail purpledrake69@yahoo.com.