Rupp Motors

try googling them Gene but i think?
they used the H50 tecumseh?
bigger motor than the Hs50..

also im thinking they used Rupp stickers on the motors too.
hope any of this helps.

Rupp 72

Rupp used Tecumseh engines for all of their bikes. In 68 and 69 the H50's and HS35's were used and they were all painted white with the round style Tecumseh decal on the engines. In 1970 rupp used only HS40's and HS35's all painted silver with the round tecumseh decal. In 1971-1973 rupp used the same engines but they were all painted black and had the big rupp decal on the shroud. All 1970-73 rupp minibikes would be specially equipped with a 3 inch long output shaft on the crank shaft (besides the sprint and bandit models). There are some other acceptions for different models such as earlier rupps or cub, copper, rascal ect... But this should give you a general idea. Hope this helps

Rupp used Tecumseh engines for all of their bikes. In 68 and 69 the H50's and HS35's were used and they were all painted white with the round style Tecumseh decal on the engines. In 1970 rupp used only HS40's and HS35's all painted silver with the round tecumseh decal. In 1971-1973 rupp used the same engines but they were all painted black and had the big rupp decal on the shroud. All 1970-73 rupp minibikes would be specially equipped with a 3 inch long output shaft on the crank shaft (besides the sprint and bandit models). There are some other acceptions for different models such as earlier rupps or cub, copper, rascal ect... But this should give you a general idea. Hope this helps
nice summary!

HS35's? I've never seen one in the master parts manual or the microfiche. Yet every now and then I see one mentioned here. Is this just a legend?

markus

HS35's? I've never seen one in the master parts manual or the microfiche. Yet every now and then I see one mentioned here. Is this just a legend?
I will be making an "HS35" out of spare parts soon. Using a 1985 H35 that has the the large journal crank bores and installing an early HS40 crank and flywheel/mag setup so I can run the early shrouding, does that count? :anon.sml:

I will be making an "HS35" out of spare parts soon. Using a 1985 H35 that has the the large journal crank bores and installing an early HS40 crank and flywheel/mag setup so I can run the early shrouding, does that count? :anon.sml:
Yes, Sensei. Yes it does!

Oh to be a fly on the wall of your shop.

I shall, for now, settle for being your Tecumseh Grasshopper.

I pretty sure that all Rupp h35 and hs40 and hs50 used roller bearings on the clutch side of the block that's one good why to find out if its a Rupp motor.

Rupp 72

My bad, meant H35 haha.

I pretty sure that all Rupp h35 and hs40 and hs50 used roller bearings on the clutch side of the block that's one good why to find out if its a Rupp motor.
Not true, i have rupp engines with PTO bearings and without

I guess I was misinformed if you could let me know what year the ones are that do not have the bearings so I can get my fact straight
I would like to know what year they used them, all the ones I have mess with have the bearing 70,71,72, I guess the early year maybe they did not have them? I know they (Lauson) did use as early as 62 maybe sooner.

markus

I guess I was misinformed if you could let me know what year the ones are that do not have the bearings so I can get my fact straight
I would like to know what year they used them, all the ones I have mess with have the bearing 70,71,72, I guess the early year maybe they did not have them? I know they (Lauson) did use as early as 62 maybe sooner.
any "HS" engine used on the rupp bikes were ball bearing, they began using those on the slanted engine 1970 bikes and used them till the end of the run in the mid 70's The H35 engine also got bearing beginning in 1970 as well on the slanted TC application Scrambler. all of these were also extended cranks too. Bikes like the sprint, Bandit, rascal (centrifical clutch) I am pretty sure were not ball bearing though and were also smaller 5/8" shaft size like the small frame H engines rupp used pre 1970.

The Ball bearing design started with Lauson's last version engine before tecumseh bought them out. I think the oil pump may have been dropped when the engines started to change in 1962. Its actually taken from their oil pump design where it had the bearings on the crank and a pump located where the typical governor gear sits that fed oil up to it. Sometimes you find the early style casting inside which looks odd because of the extra round insert for the pump and a rectangular shaped space on the bottom where the oil pickup was, that one had me scratching my head for along time till I saw one of the early oil pump engines opened up. from what I have seen It appears they simplified the side cover around 1970ish along with other updates.

Pretty good stuff ,you obviously have some good resource here is a page out of 71 owners manual just trying to fine out what HMB stands for horizontal medium ? thanks