Rupp roadster

cfh

looks good, actually awesome. but if it were me, i would have painted the frame purple also. black frame is 1972, and that color really does not show on in 1972. it's more a 1971 color where the frame would be purple also. in addition i would have added more curve to the rear fender... it's sticking out from the tire at the rear too much. also since you have motocross tires and no lights, better to use the "enduro" tank sticker, not roadster.... and enduro again is more 1971 than 1972... but these are small details, nothing compared to the big stuff that you pulled off.

This bikes frame was originally black. I posted the vin sticker on a rupp page and was told it was a black widow. It didn’t have the correct carb, and I was not going to spend that much money on one haha. I just put it together how I wanted. I have since bought another one, I believe a enduro? I was not into mini bikes at all until I finished this rupp, now I can’t get enough! DA050668-9506-4783-9F93-29AA1B457C62.jpeg D7EE03F7-EAC4-461B-A6A9-AF1A0C5D362C.jpeg

cfh

if all those parts go to the same bike, it's not a black widow. the tecumseh engine has a lighting coil, so that would make it a roadster. also the rear fender is purple, a 1971 roadster/enduro color. since you were painting the tank anyway, i would have painted the frame that color too. it's an awesome color and you matched it really well.

i've did a similar thing with left over rupp parts. but in the end, i regretted not being more precise with my color choices. i did a black frame and a green metallic tank/rear fender. i should have just painted the frame green too! so i've been exactly where you are...

GustoGuy

if all those parts go to the same bike, it's not a black widow. the tecumseh engine has a lighting coil, so that would make it a roadster. also the rear fender is purple, a 1971 roadster/enduro color. since you were painting the tank anyway, i would have painted the frame that color too. it's an awesome color and you matched it really well.

i've did a similar thing with left over rupp parts. but in the end, i regretted not being more precise with my color choices. i did a black frame and a green metallic tank/rear fender. i should have just painted the frame green too! so i've been exactly where you are...
Agreed
The Black Widow had a black rear fender or Chrome as an option. Plus there was no headlight brackets or head lamp assembly or tailight on the Black Widow.

GustoGuy

I don’t know much about these things. It is my first mini bike I’ve owned
Rupp's are nice bikes and if you can find a period correct HS40 engine or a HS50 can do in a pinch with a lighting coil then the rest of the parts are pretty easy to come by. Check out Blackwidowmotorsports.net for Rupp parts to restore your Rupp.

Minimichael

I don’t know much about these things. It is my first mini bike I’ve owned
And you did a friggin great job!

Puzzles aren't my cup of tea and I can't imagine stressing about finding perfect parts.

I give a big bravo on such a great looking first build. I really love the paint, and the decals are just tits, man. Honestly. Your pics show clearly how much work you must have put into it.

Hope it's a fun ride :scooter:

I'm curious how you repaired the rear fender; butt-welding or is it supported with new metal underneath?
Were the welded cracks ground/sanded to a perfect surface or was a skim coat of Bondo necessary?
Never attempted a repair like that-- curious how you did it. It looks good.

Good to know-- it's gratifying to see a vintage part like that brought back to life.
How did you deal with the wheel hubs and sprocket?
I've seen where somebody "cleaned" a sprocket with a wire wheel.
Yours obviously didn't suffer that fate--they look just the way I would want them to.