Rupp Throttle help

I'm working on a 71 black widow clone. I bought a NOS 1983 HS40 for it. The motor has the standard carb/manifold set up. I purchased the correct slanted intake manifold to get the carb to sit level with the Rupp slanted engine mount design. What I need is a close up picture of how the carb linkage is hooked up on the stock Rupps. Where is the throttle cable mounted, and how does the governor arm attach to the carb with the slanted intake location. Any detail pics you have are GREATLY appreciated!!

markus

you will have to alter or change out the throttle control mech thats on the engine you bought as its fixed position/equipment setup. there are threads in the Tecumseh section that outline some of the mods to make it work. I just did a thread with a little additional info on setting up the late model throttle controls and the link to the thread showing how to alter your throttle is in the thread, the linkage from govener arm to carb stays the same as how its hooked up right now. The trick there on any of them is to get that as friction free as you can and sometimes it takes a little bend with your fingers on the rod or a little twist with some pliers on the top of the arm itself. your relying pretty much only on that tiny spring on the carb throttle arm to shut that butterfly down, so you dont want it to have to work against anything and stick open.

https://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/...e-hooking-tecumseh-carb-throttle-linkage.html

You are going to have problems with your choke lever not clearing the exhaust most likely and you will have to work around that as well. Also if your engine has dual oil fills that front one will always be submerged in a slanted application, Slanted engines came with rear fill only for that reason, so think about a good way to seal that hole up or change that sidecover out etc.., It will be easier If that truly is an NOS engine that never had oil in it to take care of that before oil goes in.

Thank you markus,
I did read that write up of yours yesterday. I was unsure if a special Rupp only part was needed to attach the governor arm to the butterfly in the revised location of the carb. It is a true NOS engine, never had oil in it. I will seal that lower fill well.

markus

Thank you markus,
I did read that write up of yours yesterday. I was unsure if a special Rupp only part was needed to attach the governor arm to the butterfly in the revised location of the carb. It is a true NOS engine, never had oil in it. I will seal that lower fill well.
Yea that linkage stayed the same so no problems there. I just looked at an NOS but damaged 1985 552200J I have and it has a single rear oil fill only on it so you may be good there, My engine should spec out the same as yours in that respect, it was the next revision to that block number (to electronic ignition). They did not use the letter I as its to easily confused with 1.

Forgot to note as well that slanted engines used the same amount of oil as as standard horizontal engines did, so they (the 20 degree slanted) came with dipsticks to check the oil level. So dont fill the oil up to the threads on a slanted like the paperwork that came with the engine states as its too much oil in the crankcase unless you put the oil in when the engine is sitting level.

and if you really want it to look like a true factory slanted application engine, the rear oil drain plug was an allen head, not the standard square head, no matter year, engine size, or brand bike it was on. its the little things :thumbsup:

Thanks again Marcus!!
The fine folks at Black Widow Motorsports make a reproduction of the longer Rupp dipstick for the slanted application. I'll have to check the local hardware store plumbing section for one of those plugs too.