Scored An Old DB30!

Today I picked up an 8 slot Doodlebug for very cheap! The engine is pretty trashed, but I didn't buy it for the engine. The old DB's seem to be of better quality than the new ones. Here are the pictures (Ignore the crap in the garage):

As you can see, the tires and kill switch are different. Also, they used to use Lifan engines which are actually decent (I'm pretty sure the new engines are not Lifan, but I could be wrong).

My blue one is an older model and my yellow one is fairly new, there are subtle differences in the two although they seem to be built with the same quality, the kickstand has a bigger foot, the engine plates are mounted a bit different and the older one has dual factory engine slots! The extra ones will allow a flathead to bolt right one clutch inboard, I have had 3 different flatties on mine which is fun! It was slotted for a clone pretty much from the beginning and has also had a B&S 5.5 ohv. I love it but wish it had fork stops, if I ever get around to putting the spring cups and lowers from some Arco forks it will get the stops as the forks I am modifying have them I just have to mount the tab on the neck! You will really enjoy the diversity of engines you can run if you choose to!

what is so great about the older db,s
I said two things above your post that pointed out some great things, the engine plate will readily accept a flathead engine with no plate and no mods! And the engine plate has a better connection to the frame, it touches and is welded to the lower tubes at the bottom of the bend where the newer ones do not! There it no point comparing engines as they both are grossly underpowered and equally undependable! Now you know!:thumbsup:
SUPERNOVA @ THE MACHINE ASYLUM

Last edited:
Today I picked up an 8 slot Doodlebug for very cheap! The engine is pretty trashed, but I didn't buy it for the engine. The old DB's seem to be of better quality than the new ones. Here are the pictures (Ignore the crap in the garage):

Cool find :scooter: