Seat Restoration Question

Kartman01

Does anyone know of a company that does decorative vinyl heat sealing? Attached are some photos of a mini bike seat that I need to duplicate for another restoration.

On the top of the seat, there is a basic pattern about 1/8" wide that has been 'heat sealed' (I think this is the correct term) into the seat.

Given all of the car door panels, motorcycle seats, etc. that are out there using this kind of fabrication approach, I am wondering if anyone knows of a company that does this kind of custom work. Failing that, has anyone ever tried to do heat sealing on their own seats? If so, how did it go? Where can you purchase the equipment to do it?

Thanks for any insight.

Attachments

mustangfrank

Does anyone know of a company that does decorative vinyl heat sealing? Attached are some photos of a mini bike seat that I need to duplicate for another restoration.

On the top of the seat, there is a basic pattern about 1/8" wide that has been 'heat sealed' (I think this is the correct term) into the seat.

Given all of the car door panels, motorcycle seats, etc. that are out there using this kind of fabrication approach, I am wondering if anyone knows of a company that does this kind of custom work. Failing that, has anyone ever tried to do heat sealing on their own seats? If so, how did it go? Where can you purchase the equipment to do it?

Thanks for any insight.
I looked into this for a seat that had an odd spacing on the pleats and got nowhere, the equipment to do it properly is very expensive and I gave up trying to find someone to do the work. I was calling it "heat pleating" but I don't know if that was the correct term either.

Pretty sure the route most everyone takes now is to buy pre-pleated vinyl roll material, commonly seats just have the pleats side to side and same spaced, not a design like yours. Straight "factory" pleated vinyl running longways would probably be the easiest way to look similar to your original.

I've seen some work done by trim shops that had stitched "pleats" that could easily be made to match your pattern but then the issue of water penetration of a seam becomes an issue (or not?).

Let us know if you find someone.