Serengeti Badger project... To build, or save, for 2018 OldMiniBikes Build-Off?(Chinese class)

Daniel Coop

Haven't seen a post about one of these in a LONG time, so I thought I'd break it out, start a thread on it and get some NEW ideas... I wanted one since I saw a picture of one, and managed to pick this one up from a friend after some pushing and paying ALL the money for it. I've had it a while, but I'm jones-ing for a trail bike and this is just my style, but I think it'd also be a cool candidate for next year's Build-Off... If there is another next year?

Daniel Coop

So, my plan with this one is a capable off-road trail bike. I've heard about the weak points on the frame and it's obvious, visually. My plan is to eliminate all the unnecessary garbage, reinforce the frame at it's weak points and extend and reinforce the rear swingarm. The front shocks are seized, so I hope to be able to rebuild them. If not, I will be making my own forks, outta either some trail 50 or PW80 forks. Power will come courtesy of a home built 212/5 bolt clone head hybrid built from spare parts with an OG CL1 cam and 1.3 ratio rockers.The head is a donor from my blown 5 bolt Grayhound clone,
and is already milled .070 and ported with 22lb springs.

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

That sucker looks like it could use a frame stretch too Daniel. I didn't realize they were that short in the frame.

Doug
Agreed, but it wouldn't be bad if the bars weren't all up in my torso! It's really just the same size as a DB... I don't want to lose ground clearance and make it less manueverable on the trail by stretching out the frame. Even more reason to make my own forks and bolt some standard adjustable handlebars and clamps on it. Or get lucky and find another MBX11 fork assembly...

Last edited:
While the full suspension is nice, there is not much ground clearance at all to the bottom of the frame for an "off-road trail bike".
Michael

Daniel Coop

While the full suspension is nice, there is not much ground clearance at all to the bottom of the frame for an "off-road trail bike".
Michael
Thanks, but there's only so much "off-roading" I plan to do. I understand it's still just a Chinese mini bike with mini bike wheels etc. It's got obvious limitations... Just something I can blast through open fields, dirt roads and minor trails in my area with, without rupturing a kidney...lol. I don't plan on jumping it, taking it to Moab, or anything stupid... My idea of a capable trail bike might obviously be different from yours. Mine is just something I ain't scared to get dirty...

Last edited:

Daniel Coop

Stretching the wheel base will make it ride and handle way better !
I agree within reason... That's why I want to extend the swingarm about 3". These things always tend to snowball, so who knows...The extended swingarm and custom forks will probably give it a little more ground clearance too.

I have had good results stretching and making longer swing arms. One bike I made a longer swing arm to stop wheelies and it did, another just a couple inches and it really improved handling.

Davis

Hellz ya that would be bad ass trails bike!
But I think your roper would be much cooler for that.

Last edited: