Should I try a repair man or just get a new refrigerator.

f4radar

if its 134a 2-3 lbs on the low side should give you an evaporator temp of around 0 degrees which is actually a little high but close. If it were low on refrigerant low side would be in a vacuum , sounds like you have an airflow problem. If the evaporator is completely blocked up with ice you wont get the airflow you need. The defrost thermostat, heater and timer are common failure points. An easy test would be to unplug unit and let it defrost and if it works good after a day or so with the doors left open then its not defrosting automatically. Or you can remove the cover on the evaporator and have a look
I pulled the cover off the inside freezer and the evaporator was ice free. I’ve been monitoring the temperature and no matter where I set the temperature switch the temperature in the freezer and the fridge remains the same (12 degrees to warm)The the switch and thermostat are one unit, so I’m guessing that’s it.

Very good advice. I do auto air conditioning. Is it OK to put R134 in a refrigerator? I have always been told no, but nobody told me why?
automotive R134a is no different than any other R134a. The 30 lbs cylinders for automotive use have a acme thread instead of 1/4 inch flare so auto technicians dont put it in old r12 systems

if its ice free the suction pressure has to be too high. It should ice up , then auto defrost once a day or so.
It shouldn't be completely frozen solid as that would stop air flow .

f4radar

if its ice free the suction pressure has to be too high. It should ice up , then auto defrost once a day or so.
It shouldn't be completely frozen solid as that would stop air flow .
Very interesting, the condenser had been dripping and a heating coil was hot when I opened the back.