small Briggs engine 2-21/2

its pretty small, it has a 5/8 shaft and a tiny gas tank. it came off of a small cultivator tiller, like that little 2 stoke one you can get these days, but a bit heavier.

anyway, are these rare? will they pull a small minibike?

thanks,, mike

The little mini in the photo is a 3hp with a 5/8" crank...I also have a 1971 2hp with a 5/8" crank that looks just like this one except it's bright orange...they are both fun to ride, and work fine for my 240lb rider weight.

The frames are a little small for my 6'4" height though...

The 3hp works well with 12/60 gearing...the 2hp likes 12/72...

If it's a Briggs & Stratton 2hp, 2-1/2hp, or 3hp engine, then they're not rare...they were made in the tens of thousands, and many survive today and can be found at swaps and fleas...I paid $20 for the orange one, without the edger it was mounted on. The black one was $50...it was barely used. New retail for a 3hp is $199...

I've bought several of these little engines, and used to also buy the Azusa minibike kit...we'd put them together in a weekend, and they were tons of fun...the neighbor kids always talked me out of them quickly.

Last edited:
The wife and I were riding around the yard...she was on the Yellowjacket, and I was chasing her on the li'l Burglar...so I thought I'd shoot a pic of the two of them side by side before we put them away.