Smoking Greyhound

kram

Ok, I picked up this minibike with what looks like a hardly run greyhound on it. Everything on this bike has been rigged up and is taking a lot of undoing. Today I messed with the motor for the first time and got it fired up but it is spitting all kinds of black smoke. The thing that really has me confused is that there is some oil coming out of the exhaust. Now if it was just some blue smoke I would think the rings were bad. Is it possible that it sat on its side and got oil in the cylinder? It fires right up first pull but the smoke makes me nervous to run it for more than a few seconds. Any body have any ideas?

If you don't feel like messing with the carb get a new one. I just did and it was brand new and only cost me $12.58 that's shipped. Take a look at item 320908126787 on ebay. Got mine installed and it started first pull and runs great. Good Luck

If the engine was on it's side, the cylinder head will fill with oil. Also, you mention that the bike has been Bubba'd with, make sure the crank case is not overfilled with oil. Bad Jujube if that happens.

kram

Ok, so normally I would agree that black smoke is an indicator that the carb needs to be adjusted. However it was thick smoke and there was actually oil spray coming out of the exhaust pipe. I took the head off and sure enough there was oil all over the place. Cleaned it up and put it back together. It fires right up and no more smoke! So I am pretty sure that it did spend some time on its side. Thanks for the input!