Snow Bike Build

I've been eyeing the snow catching area of my snowblower for potential fenders. Yesterday I got the chance to tear it apart and see how they would work.

They will need a little more refinement but I think this will work great.

Starting to plan the swingarm. Hope to make some decent progress on this tonight.

I want to cut this shaft down so I have more flexibility in where I put the gearbox. The threads on the end hold the driven pulley in place as it expands. Do you think I can put a die on this and make more threads and then cut the end of this off? Is there a way to test if this is hardened on or anything that would cause issues? The only other option I can think of is putting a strong enough bracket on the end of the shaft(after it's cut down) that would hold the driven pulley in place. I think that would work but it doesn't seem like the greatest idea.

The shaft is most likely hardened. You can look into heating it to remove the temper, thread and reheat to temper it again. That might, however ruin the shaft. Maybe a machine shop has a indexing lathe that can cut/extend the threads. It seems to me that when folks narrow axles for hot rods, they are able to put new splines on without messing with the properties of the metal, so you ought to be able to do the same with this.

With the right cutter, a lathe can go through about anything.

The shaft is most likely hardened. You can look into heating it to remove the temper, thread and reheat to temper it again. That might, however ruin the shaft. Maybe a machine shop has a indexing lathe that can cut/extend the threads. It seems to me that when folks narrow axles for hot rods, they are able to put new splines on without messing with the properties of the metal, so you ought to be able to do the same with this.

With the right cutter, a lathe can go through about anything.
That sounds expensive. It's beyond my knowledge base and I don't have that kind of equipment or access to that kind of equipment. I'd have to pay a machine shop to do this. I'll certainly consider it if needed but what if I did something like below. I would put a bearing in the vertical bracket to hold the shaft and use washers if necessary to keep the pulley off the bracket and gearbox.

So the driven pulley would be keyed in some way to the gear box (one side of it to allow for expansion of the other half)? I'm not terribly familiar with torque converters (which is what I think you're doing to get power to the gearbox):confused:, if that's the case do you need to box the pulley? Correct me if I missed how you're transferring power. It might be as simple as drilling the axle and pulley and putting a drift pin in to secure it.

As to machining threads, I don't think it would be expensive as it's a pretty simple task especially if the shop has a cnc lathe. They just index the thread, chuck it up, set the dial and 10 min later it's done (same thing on an old school lathe). It'd be worth a couple calls around to get a price. Might save you time and major headaches. :smile: Some of the other guys who machine parts for their bikes (LSCustoms, for instance) might point you in a better direction than me.

why thread the end at all? You could secure it any number of ways. Drill and tap it or cut a slot with dremel for a C clip or even a locking collar would do it.

Unorthodox,
The Jr dragsters run crank supports, sometimes on both sides with a bearing like you are describing. Some of them are pushing 50hp and turning over 8 grand so I should think it would be a robust enough design?

Dual-Crank-Support-End-Plate-Half-Scale-Junior-Dragsters.jpg

I think that proves my idea will work but I think putting a locking collar on as mentioned above will be easier, better looking and lighter.
I think you're getting rally good advice from these two gentlemen. My only caution is that hardened steel is a true :censure: to drill. Bits like to bounce and have to be harder than the material they are to drill--that makes 'em pretty brittle for this application.

It might not look like it but I had a fairly productive day. I got the fork bolt that was seized out so I was able to take the forks off. I'm undecided whether I'm going to use the forks or not. I think it might be easier to just build a new setup from scratch. I got a pair off skis of ebay last night so when they come in I can start planning the front end better.

I got plates cut and welded to tubing to start building the rear swingarm.

I got my gearbox mounted to the frame. I feel confident I'll be able to cut the shaft down the gearbox so I was able to place it where I wanted for good chain alignment and not have the torque converter sticking out so much.

I did a little more fitment testing of the rear fender and started cutting brackets to mount the shocks to the swingarm.

I feel like I'm progressing really slow but at least I'm moving forward slowly.

I drilled new engine plate holes. This will better center the engine and get it as far forward as I want.

I finished my rear shock mounts and got them tacked to the swingarm.

I tacked the shifter in place. I need to work out the linkage to the gearbox.

I got my skis in this week. I still need to figure out my fork/steering setup. I can't decide if it will be easier to reuse the forks or start from scratch. Right now I can't get the lowers out of the upper fork so I have them soaking.