snowblower 2 stroke modifications

vegetable

Hey all, I recently picked up a 2 stroke motor from a snowblower to use on one of my projects. Rated at 6.5 hp with 141cc, what size carburetor should i run and what kind of pipe? I was thinking a 24mm carburetor and i recently picked up a world circuit pipe from a kx250 that im going to cut and weld onto my flange (and make it shorter), is this a good pipe to use or do I need something different? also, are there any extra mods I can do besides a carb and pipe? i know I can port the cylinder but thats really all i know

Attachments

Need more info. What brand engine? was is snow BLOWER or snowMOBILE?
What are you planning to put it on, and why do you ask questions when you cannot give any information for us to try to answer you?

vegetable

Need more info. What brand engine? was is snow BLOWER or snowMOBILE?
What are you planning to put it on, and why do you ask questions when you cannot give any information for us to try to answer you?
sorry if i didnt give enough information in my first post
its a toro R Tek which is a piston ported lawnboy Duraforce
i pulled it from a toro ccr 3650 and and im planning to put it on the back of an e scooter i gutted and stretched 6 inches

i just wanted to know if an MX pipe like that one from a kx250 would work with some modifications (id be willing to cut and re weld if needed for a better suited pipe or just to fit in general) and any other performance besides a carburetor and pipe

Sorry, I have no clue. I think maybe you are asking the wrong crowd, but there are a whole diverse bunch if individuals here. Maybe someone can help you.

Is there a forum for people who modify 2 stroke snowblower engines to use dirt bike carbs and exhaust on electric scooters?
I do some oddball stuff, but that is a new one for me. Good luck,Friend!

vegetable

Sorry, I have no clue. I think maybe you are asking the wrong crowd, but there are a whole diverse bunch if individuals here. Maybe someone can help you.

Is there a forum for people who modify 2 stroke snowblower engines to use dirt bike carbs and exhaust on electric scooters?
I do some oddball stuff, but that is a new one for me. Good luck,Friend!
yeah, its interesting for sure. im trying to basically make a goped out of it, but i wanted a bigger engine on it so it could go a little faster than the rest

Augiedoggie

Put your cylinder in a lathe and machine .030 from case surface to increase squish and compression. This also advances port timing. Find a expansion chamber for an 80cc motocrosser. It has volume better suited for your motor. 250cc pipe will make it a dog. Be sure to check squish when reassembling motor and add base gaskets to give it about .020 for starters. If you don't understand what these things are I have described, you may want to study a bit of 2 stroke engine theory before attempting this project. A good air cooled 80cc motocross motor will pull 18-24 horsepower. It's probably a better plan to find one of those and use it.

vegetable

Put your cylinder in a lathe and machine .030 from case surface to increase squish and compression. This also advances port timing. Find a expansion chamber for an 80cc motocrosser. It has volume better suited for your motor. 250cc pipe will make it a dog. Be sure to check squish when reassembling motor and add base gaskets to give it about .020 for starters. If you don't understand what these things are I have described, you may want to study a bit of 2 stroke engine theory before attempting this project. A good air cooled 80cc motocross motor will pull 18-24 horsepower. It's probably a better plan to find one of those and use it.
im newer to 2 strokes but i have done a little bit of research. Ill see if i can find a 80cc exhaust. But would a 125 exhaust work as well? reason i chose this engine is i wanted more power than the smaller 50s or 35s ppl put on scooters like these, but also not go too crazy on. I also seen that 2 strokes like bigger carbs, so what size should run on this? ive been thinking either 20-24mm is a good size for this motor but let me know if im wrong in assuming

i want the response and powerband to feel like im on a 80cc mx bike

edit: i also wanted to have the same feel of using industrail purposed engines and making them more powerful, like the predators and honda clones

i find it much more fun than somrthing like an mx engine

Last edited:

Augiedoggie

Your engine was never designed for high performance or throttle response. Your yard engines are built for long service life at mostly fixed speeds. Lower your expectations here. You can give it more power by increasing air flow and helping scavenging at running speeds but it will have its limits and will shorten its service life and possibly break stuff. Most industrial engines peak at 4000 RPM. Spinning it faster will make more power. Most 2 stroke engines use small carburetor to limit engine speed. Bigger carb will increase airflow and speed. Too big will make it a slug at low speed. Machining cylinder base and increasing compression will make it respond to throttle better and porting cylinder will make it rev harder. You can raise exhaust port and cut an inverted rain drop shape and raise intake port ends in a smile shape to help port timing. Your engine was not built for performance and probably doesn't have transfer ports so there isn't much more you can do for it. Be sure to run a rich oil premix also. 25-1 is best for performance and reasonable engine life. Maxima 927 castor is the hot shit 2 stroke oil for performance. Be sure to source correct heat range plug in platinum for the weak stock ignition in that thing.

vegetable

How fast are you planning to go?
im planning on going around 45-50 mph. I want it to have that range so i can cruise around at lower rpms as to not be revving it out all the time. Im building it for college travel and to cruise with my buddies, i do want to get fatter tires but im not sure if they will fit my forks or my rear wheels

what size would be good to run?

Last edited:

vegetable

Your engine was never designed for high performance or throttle response. Your yard engines are built for long service life at mostly fixed speeds. Lower your expectations here. You can give it more power by increasing air flow and helping scavenging at running speeds but it will have its limits and will shorten its service life and possibly break stuff. Most industrial engines peak at 4000 RPM. Spinning it faster will make more power. Most 2 stroke engines use small carburetor to limit engine speed. Bigger carb will increase airflow and speed. Too big will make it a slug at low speed. Machining cylinder base and increasing compression will make it respond to throttle better and porting cylinder will make it rev harder. You can raise exhaust port and cut an inverted rain drop shape and raise intake port ends in a smile shape to help port timing. Your engine was not built for performance and probably doesn't have transfer ports so there isn't much more you can do for it. Be sure to run a rich oil premix also. 25-1 is best for performance and reasonable engine life. Maxima 927 castor is the hot shit 2 stroke oil for performance. Be sure to source correct heat range plug in platinum for the weak stock ignition in that thing.
ok, thank you for the advice. What general size range is good for these types? should i tend to lean towards the lower end?

im planning on going around 45-50 mph. I want it to have that range so i can cruise around at lower rpms as to not be revving it out all the time. Im building it for college travel and to cruise with my buddies
In which state is it legal to go 50mph on the street on a 2 stroke scooter?
2 strokes live at high RPMs i'm not familiar with that particular engine but if you're looking for low RPM performance, a 2 stroke would not be my first choice.
Not trying to discourage you at all, just trying to answer the question.

vegetable

In which state is it legal to go 50mph on the street on a 2 stroke scooter?
2 strokes live at high RPMs i'm not familiar with that particular engine but if you're looking for low RPM performance, a 2 stroke would not be my first choice.
Not trying to discourage you at all, just trying to answer the question.
yeah i know, im riding it basically out in the boonies, theres barely any police around there, they mainly focus on the city.

and for that, i meant like not ripping it all the way out to where rhe engine breaks, just something around to keep me going with plenty of power

not sure how big your wheels will be, but generally 2 strokes will need a pretty large rear sprocket.
from your pic it looks like you will be using smaller wheels. Those 2 things might not jive, or maybe they will

vegetable

not sure how big your wheels will be, but generally 2 strokes will need a pretty large rear sprocket.
from your pic it looks like you will be using smaller wheels. Those 2 things might not jive, or maybe they will
yeah it seems like they are just typical scooter wheels 10x3.00-4 tires

i seen that 4.10/3.50-4 tires are bigger and i did find some higher performance street tires. if switching to 5 inch rims is an option with good street tread, then i will definately hop onto that

currently its a 35 tooth rear sprocket cause i didnt want to go past the diameter of the wheel. probably going to use a 10 or 12 tooth front sprocket on a 40 series converter (since it has a 1 inch shaft)

Those wheels/tires seem too small to me to take advantage of the powerband of a 2 stroke engine.
i could be completely wrong though, very interested to see the results. A jackshaft might be able to handle the gear reduction though

vegetable

Those wheels/tires seem too small to me to take advantage of the powerband of a 2 stroke engine.
i could be completely wrong though, very interested to see the results. A jackshaft might be able to handle the gear reduction though
yeah ill definately keep posting progress when im able to, currently unable to since i started this like 2 weeks before i left for college again haha.