Some Advise (4 HP briggs)

i just picked up a free 4 Hp flathead briggs from my neighbor who was going to throw it out because he took one look at the little bit of corrosion on it and said its junk. it came off of an old 1-wheel drive Manco go-kart, and it still has the original Max Torque clutch on it. the only problem with the engine is when i popped the head off, i noticed that the exhaust valve is stuck open, so i then turned the motor over to where the valve is supposed to close, then took a rubber mallet and tapped the valve lightly until it closed, and then i turned it over so it popped up again, then i checked behind the breather door, and noticed that the valve itself isn't siezed, the pushrod is. well it isn't really SEIZED its just hard to move. so then i repeated pushing the valve up and tapping it down, with the pushrod drenched in oil from squirting oil into the valve spring area, but after like 20 times or so, the pushrod dosen't seem to free up any more then it was. what should my next course of action be? and what would cause the pushrod in an engine to seize up even know its isolated from the elements?

Possably it was run low on oil and the dipper did not throw oil up to the top of the block where the lifters are. I would pull the cam and lifters and see it the lifter is galled up .
Steve

thanks for the help guys, i pulled the cam and lifters like you said and found out that the lifter DID have a slight bend in it! so then i just took a different exhaust lifter out of one of my donor motors and now the engine runs perfect!
i really appreciate it!