speedway project

joshua. c.

I have an old project that got sidelined when I found out the motor I had was junk. I got this speedway all junked up, the top of the frame was cut out and horridly replaced to fit the h70 and the wheel spacers were missing the sprocet mount had crumbled and the brake was missing the armature that asctuates it. and the forks were stuck the jackshaft was missing and the origenal seat was gone.

DSCN0183.JPG DSCN0184.JPG

joshua. c.

So far the frame is fixed and painted the rear brake works the shocks are freed up the sprocet mount is replaced and the jackshaft is replaced and I sourced a reproduction seat cover and an origenal tank. I'll have to get a new picture of the bike with the seat cover. I plan to keep the h70 motor because I think it looks good in there and do some power adding mods to it. Im also thinking of trimming this motors width a bit with some out of the ordinary mods. (that part fully depends on what parts I can get my hands on) I also plan to run the chain outside the frame to properly center the motor in the frame for better wheght distribution.

DSCN0238.JPG

cfh

i would get rid of that motor, it's too big, too heavy. a small frame motor is the way to go. It just won't "feel" right with that large frame motor. Also the torque converter may not line up, not sure about that. personally i would use an HS50 but an HS40 would be Ok too. it appears you live in snowblower territory, it shouldn't be hard to find an old snowblower with an HS50.

also get the black paint off the rear chrome shock springs, that looks weird. you can take the sebec shocks apart and put on new springs. i do this all the time for a fresh chrome look. i would do the headlight and chrome fenders in a chrome color too. on the front brake i would adapt a db30 disc brake caliper to the fork stay. i do that all the time and it works quite well, because finding the original front disc caliper is difficult and expensive (db30 caliper is $15.) a duck tail seat is hard to find. newer non-ducktail seats you can get off ebay, but they don't look right, and the snaps don't line up with the snap holes in the frame.

personally i would add the head gusset to the frame too. you have a 1971 model, and it's before speedway added the head gusset. with adults it's easy to crack the head plates without that gusset. i do this to all 1971 models, it really stiffens the frame and prevents that crack from forming (if it's not already started to crack!)

done right, the scarab/scorpion speedway is one of the best 10" wheel mini bikes ever made. it's worth it to get it dialed in. i buy new chinese series20 torque converter drive/driven with a 3/4" belt. and set the gearing up right (usually 11t jackshaft sprocket), and this thing will really surprise you. BlackwidowMS is getting ready to sell new speedway torque converter covers, so you'll be all set there.

Last edited:

joshua. c.

That motor is staying, its key to the build and im not bothering with the torque converter It won't fit with how im mounting the motor in the dead center of the frame. I want the power of the h70 and the vintage look it provides. If I realy wanted a stock bike I could have bought one this last summer at Windber a seller had a fully complete bike needing re chroming and a good paint job. It was selling for an afordable price. I like custom bikes better I like having something uneque unlike any other.

joshua. c.

The motor isn't mounted in this picture its just sitting there. You get a better idea of how far along I am with this shot. I haven't found a front break soution yet but im not paying 200 - 300$ for an origenal caliper. I saved what chrome was salvigalbe and painted the rest. I don't have the money to re chrome all my bikes. The exhaust isn't mounted yet either just sitting loose.

DSCN0376.JPG

joshua. c.

I also want to note im slapping together a mostly stock rupp roadster 2 this winter. It needs minimal work and I have most of the parts already and again no chroming (to expensive) this one will be black and yellow. This bike is purposfully not modded so my young nephews will have a bike to ride when they get old enough and its a good starter bike for any of my frends or family to try.

joshua. c.

I found a cheep fix for the chrome, I just tried chrome spray paint and waw it realy dose look like chrome.! I'll post a pick of the rupp rims I just sprayed with it once they have dried.

Lizardking

I found a cheep fix for the chrome, I just tried chrome spray paint and waw it realy dose look like chrome.! I'll post a pick of the rupp rims I just sprayed with it once they have dried.
Pictures of it next to real chrome for comparison if you can. Pictures of the paint wet and after it dries to compare .

What's this product you're talking about?

joshua. c.

The brand is Rustolium its not perfect but it looks just like chrome unless you look real close. painting isn't done yet it still needs a good light sanding to get rid of speckles and 1 more coat. Now isn't an ideal time or temprature to paint I have to spray outside then move it inside to dry. I also have allot of other work to do right now so this took a backseat today. I'll get them done the next afternoon I have free.

On priviose build I have painted wheels grey to compensate for rusted out chrome but this chrome spray paint may be a nicer looking solution.

joshua. c.

I'm learnning alot about this paint. I messed up the rims when I atemped to install the tires on them myself scrastching them up alot. After poping 2 tubes I just had a shop do it, they messed up the paint even further by using wd40 as a lubricant for the tire, it ate any chrome paint it toutched. I tried to clean the rims and re apply but there were spots of grease left aparentlty and spots of bare metal, the chrome spray paint didn't like this and pealed away from these spots. on the other hand a sprocket freshley hit with rust reformer came out nearly perfect so this stuff needs a realy good base coat of primer to start with or it comes out like crap. I'll get some pictures of the sprocket soon. also any grease or oil residue on the surface shows threw so prep work is everything. I may have to strip the rims back down and start over.

Triley41395

I'm learnning alot about this paint. I messed up the rims when I atemped to install the tires on them myself scrastching them up alot. After poping 2 tubes I just had a shop do it, they messed up the paint even further by using wd40 as a lubricant for the tire, it ate any chrome paint it toutched. I tried to clean the rims and re apply but there were spots of grease left aparentlty and spots of bare metal, the chrome spray paint didn't like this and pealed away from these spots. on the other hand a sprocket freshley hit with rust reformer came out nearly perfect so this stuff needs a realy good base coat of primer to start with or it comes out like crap. I'll get some pictures of the sprocket soon. also any grease or oil residue on the surface shows threw so prep work is everything. I may have to strip the rims back down and start over.
Is this the paint you used? Thinking of doing a set of speedway wheels. Screenshot_20231216_132845_Chrome.jpg

cfh

i powder coat 10" speedway wheels with a color from Prismatic called Polished Aluminum
https://www.prismaticpowders.com/shop/powder-coating-colors/HSS-2345/polished-aluminum
it's the way to go. Chrome paint sucks, there's no two ways about it. On the bike link below, i used powder coat polished aluminum. In addition the handlebars and fenders are the same powder coat Polished Aluminum from Prismatic. also the front brake is sporting the db30 $15 disc brake solution (with the original rotor.) The sebac shocks i took apart and painted the bodies (don't powder coat them!), and installed new springs (which are cheap/easy to get.) I know the Speedway decals are quite right, but at the time, that's all i had.
https://www.pinrepair.com/minibikes/p/speedway1972scarab_mine1.jpg