Sprucing up the "Craigslist Special"

This is pretty much what 100 bucks got me on craigslist, an unknown mini bike with a pair of Briggs 3hp engines and what can I say? I love the damn thing. I managed to get it running after swapping out a clean carb with the gunked out one it had originally- hence the two tone paint job on the engine. Now that it's running, it's time to give this bad boy a complete makeover so that people will stop calling it the "Ghetto Bike" :thumbdown:

Here's what we got to start with:

looks kinda homemade but still pretty cool looking i like it also looks like you have some nice ground clearance for some trail riding anyway have fun and enjoy

These are from the first day of work. Here I wanted to take the rust off the scrub brake components and disassemble the bike completely...and get rid of that seat that Gunnar101's so fond of xD

This next picture is from day 2

Started to strip the paint from the frame

You can take the bike out of the Ghetto, but can you take the Ghetto out of the bike? paint does work wonders.
Haha I hope so! I've got the paint and primer already. I've got a full can of metallic green in the garage waiting to be sprayed once I prep the frame.

I'm going to head to the garage today. The weather is much cooler then yesterday (It was 94 degrees out). So I won't be stuck working in an "unair-conditioned" tool oven. I've got another hundred dollars of parts coming tomorrow. I'll see if I can't finish the painting prep work for painting today. In the mean time I have a question and a treat.

I've got two power plants to choose from:

Should I go with the Briggs and Stratton 3hp:

OR Tecumseh Powersport 6 hp from an old yerf dog?

While you think here's a video on it's first run

Hahahaha! Love the vid (night rider).

You think a Powersport engine is going to fit? The "designer" of that bike forgot about engine placement and weight distribution. :doah:

I know exactly what you're saying, I couldn't even fit the air filter for the Briggs because there's hardly any space for it. That's why I have paper towels secured with a zip-line over the air intake as a makeshift filter. As for the Tecumseh, It will fit if you take off the fuel tank. That's why it's not attached in the picture. Anywho, I'm going to need a fuel tank for the Tecumseh if I choose to use it...it's also due for a rebuild an external wash for cosmetic purposes of course.

It also poses problems if I choose to install a TAV in the future.

I'm also welding on a new engine mounting plate because the old one is a flimsy piece of crap.

More pictures tonight, I'm breaking for lunch

Here are some pictures of what I was up to today. Let me start by saying that the grinder that I had to use is one of the scariest power tools I've ever had in my hands. It's too big for the job I need it for, but unfortunatley it's all I have to work with. Anywho, aside from stripping more paint from the frame and fork, I took off the old engine mounting plate and plan to weld on a new 1/4 inch one.

Hey everyone. Just a few updates!

I got my parts in some time last week. I've got me some much needed hardware including throttle grips, a brake caliper, some chain, fenders and some add-on's for the engine. I've also picked up plenty of paint and some bare metal to mount said new hardware. nearly everything except the frame and fork has been primed

Today was spent cleaning out the 6hp Tecumseh engine that is to be mounted onto the mini bike. Just some side notes...I laughed my ass to find a plastic camshaft inside the engine. I think that's reason enough to think twice about ditching the governor. Before this engine was absolutely filthy...a look at the throttle arm proves it. It's also been home to spiders and wasps alike. Now it has a bit more aesthetic flare with the new header pipe and touch-up paint. The heat-sinks are clean and the engine should be in running condition once it gets some oil. Tomorrow I'll try to get the fenders and the caliper mounted. Once that's done I can finally begin paining full time and then start reassembly.