STILL LOOKING FOR ANSWERS

I have four of these old tote gotes and I need help identifying the maker. I believe they are still Bonhams, or any early makers of the tote gotes out of Utah. If anyone may have answers, please let me know. I've done a lot of research, but still have yet to nail down exactly where they came from and who made them. I believe they may have been modified for the 8 horsepower Briggs and Stratton engines. I talked to the person who originally gave them to my father a few years back, and he told me he had spoke to of the sons of Ralph Ralph Bonham and was told they were Bonhams, but still have yet to get a true full answer. Any input would be lovely, I do have four of them and I'm looking to let them go to the right people. Would love them all four to go to one person.
IMG_20240329_194743718_HDR.jpg IMG_20240328_193752160~3.jpg IMG_20240329_194502620.jpg IMG_20240328_194225663_PORTRAIT~2.jpg

Attachments

The clutch system looks like a Salsbury 500. These parts were available to builders and manufacturers. I have looked closely at how these machines were built. I think they were homemade. They are well built and it is unusual to see four built the same. I don't think they were built by Bonham.
Ok, that's informative. The only reason I would believe they were Bonham's is just due to the fact I live in Salt lake and I feel like these machines were made in Utah, maybe not SLC. My father acquired them a few years back from a guy out of Moab Utah, who had said he had spoke to Ralph Bonham's son in regards to these machines during a gote fest in Heber. He said when my father picked them up they had a badge of sorts on one, but may have fallen off.
When I look at these, and through the information that I have found on early gotes, they remind me of a module B, but modified. The way the seat sit, and the when I look at the tires, it just looks to me like there early 1960s models of something, whatever they are. And I just strikes me as odd that there would be four uniform machines, minus one of them having a newer engine on them (Wich the original owner said he had done before my dad acquired them). I know that there was also a company out of Ogden Utah, that had produced Gotes in the early 60's, the man who started the company worked for Bonham and split off and created his company, apparently stealing some of Bonham's designs. And I wonder if that may have been where they were created as well. I only feel like they were manufactured for mass production just due to the fact that there is four that are almost identical. I have wondered if they were created for the forestry department, and or maybe digging in sand like what's in Moab, just due to the way that they're built. I know that early machines did not have eight horsepower engines, well at least as far as I've researched. When I look at them, as a simplified machine, they do look like Bonham's or like I said the Model B's. One of them does have a plate above the rear wheel fender, however it's been painted over, so I feel like maybe I will put some pink lacquer to it and see if there may be identifying numbers underneath the blue paint. Two of the machines look like they have been painted after the other two, so I feel like they have been worked on as a restoration project somewhere along the lines, obviously since what I feel is that the horsepower engine was not in them at that time.
Richard Trotter, I feel like you are very well versed man in these machines, so the input that you give me is in high consideration about the makers and where they're from. I started my journey looking at all of these gotes online in FB groups, and Richard, I know I have seen your name in the groups. I really wish that I was able to restore these as a project of my own, however I am a caretaker for my father and 82 year old aunt also three other elderly people that are neighbors of ours, so I am having to let go of a few of the projects my father had, just because I'm not a paid employee from my relatives....lol..... At least not on government payroll, I'm not sure if room and board counts. My father said that he is not able to restore these as he wanted to do that with his grandkids, however none of his grandkids are either interested or near where we live in salt lake, my children live in Sacramento and I know they would love to do something with these, however they are there not here.
Any other input from anybody else would be highly appreciated. Again I'm willing to let go of these as a group, I would love to have one person fix all four up because they came to us as a group and I feel like they should go wherever their new destination as as a group.

Ok, that's informative. The only reason I would believe they were Bonham's is just due to the fact I live in Salt lake and I feel like these machines were made in Utah, maybe not SLC. My father acquired them a few years back from a guy out of Moab Utah, who had said he had spoke to Ralph Bonham's son in regards to these machines during a gote fest in Heber. He said when my father picked them up they had a badge of sorts on one, but may have fallen off.
When I look at these, and through the information that I have found on early gotes, they remind me of a module B, but modified. The way the seat sit, and the when I look at the tires, it just looks to me like there early 1960s models of something, whatever they are. And I just strikes me as odd that there would be four uniform machines, minus one of them having a newer engine on them (Wich the original owner said he had done before my dad acquired them). I know that there was also a company out of Ogden Utah, that had produced Gotes in the early 60's, the man who started the company worked for Bonham and split off and created his company, apparently stealing some of Bonham's designs. And I wonder if that may have been where they were created as well. I only feel like they were manufactured for mass production just due to the fact that there is four that are almost identical. I have wondered if they were created for the forestry department, and or maybe digging in sand like what's in Moab, just due to the way that they're built. I know that early machines did not have eight horsepower engines, well at least as far as I've researched. When I look at them, as a simplified machine, they do look like Bonham's or like I said the Model B's. One of them does have a plate above the rear wheel fender, however it's been painted over, so I feel like maybe I will put some pink lacquer to it and see if there may be identifying numbers underneath the blue paint. Two of the machines look like they have been painted after the other two, so I feel like they have been worked on as a restoration project somewhere along the lines, obviously since what I feel is that the horsepower engine was not in them at that time.
Richard Trotter, I feel like you are very well versed man in these machines, so the input that you give me is in high consideration about the makers and where they're from. I started my journey looking at all of these gotes online in FB groups, and Richard, I know I have seen your name in the groups. I really wish that I was able to restore these as a project of my own, however I am a caretaker for my father and 82 year old aunt also three other elderly people that are neighbors of ours, so I am having to let go of a few of the projects my father had, just because I'm not a paid employee from my relatives....lol..... At least not on government payroll, I'm not sure if room and board counts. My father said that he is not able to restore these as he wanted to do that with his grandkids, however none of his grandkids are either interested or near where we live in salt lake, my children live in Sacramento and I know they would love to do something with these, however they are there not here.
Any other input from anybody else would be highly appreciated. Again I'm willing to let go of these as a group, I would love to have one person fix all four up because they came to us as a group and I feel like they should go wherever their new destination as as a group.
If Mr trotter states they are not made by bonham rest assured they are not…..but as ol dad used to say ask around enough and you’ll eventually find someone to agree with you….so
If you’re comfortable thinking they are made by bonham, then all is good….but the resident expert, whom most rely on for bonham Information, states nay nay to the gote

If Mr trotter states they are not made by bonham rest assured they are not…..but as ol dad used to say ask around enough and you’ll eventually find someone to agree with you….so
If you’re comfortable thinking they are made by bonham, then all is good….but the resident expert, whom most rely on for bonham Information, states nay nay to the gote
It's far from me wanting somebody to agree with me, as a matter of fact I would like somebody to disagree with me and show me the correct direction to look. Again the only reason'S (plural) that I would think that they would be created by Bonham or direct links to Bonham, is the fact that I live in Salt Lake City so close to them and where Bonham had their factory, and the information that I had found (YES, by asking around) from the fella my father initially traded them for, had said that he spoke to one of his sons about them at a tote gotes fest just outside of SLC. I don't believe that somebody would lie about such a thing, however who knows people are people I guess. Also in the basic structure of the machines, without their gates and their eight horsepower Briggs and Stratton engines, look very similar, at least in my eyes (and like I said, I am just becoming very well versed in tote gotes myself.
So it's definitely not that I'm begging somebody to give me the incorrect answer, I'm actually desperately trying to find the correct answers. And the only way I have found any answers is by weeding out the wrong answers thus far. I think it's really in poor taste that folks want to get huffy and puffy about a young lady asking questions. I am not a tote gote mechanic, nor even a motorcycle mechanic, however I do work on classic cars, I am a mechanic (not an electrician) and I am very into finding out history of old things. This is the whole reason why I'm asking all of these questions, is because I am not willing to sell these to somebody without knowing their history, because I am not that kind of person. I would rather be an informed seller, and be able to give these to a good home to people who are willing and wanting to work on such machines. So with that being said, like I said, I would like to know the history on these, so I can send them to somebody who wants to restore them with all of their Glory from whatever era they came from. I don't understand why people have to troll and be rude, when somebody's really trying to find out informed answers to their uninformed questions I guess. So thanks for the input, I appreciate you telling me what I already knew, but I am also very interested in finding out the things that I don't know, so in the next person gets them they are in the know.

No one is being rude…trust me I can show you rude…just stating the experts HERE tell you it’s not bonham….if you don’t like their answers move on…don’t argue with his opinion…it seems you have extensive history…enough to convince people you’re trying to sell them to that they are what YOU claim…i don’t have a dog I this fight yet, and I really don’t give a shit about you…just pointing out the fact you’re disagreeing with the one person here that would know…

Thepaetsguy

I have looked closely at how these machines were built. I think they were homemade. They are well built and it is unusual to see four built the same.
If all four have very slight differences I’m gonna say home brew. I built my first streaker and immediately found the same frame to make a copy of the first one. I’m talking with a guy on marketplace now about another sc-11 frame to make a third copy of these two.

Homebuilders knock it out if the park sometimes once they find a design they like they keep to it and build a few then enjoy.

0CBD554F-1F38-4839-A245-CF2ACF4742DC.jpeg F54C38C9-E4DE-43A2-9B21-588EE66592F2.jpeg

I’m with Richard. Home made. I’ve had several Gotes and currently working on restoring one. There is nothing Gote about those. Very nice bikes though IMO.

No one is being rude…trust me I can show you rude…just stating the experts HERE tell you it’s not bonham….if you don’t like their answers move on…don’t argue with his opinion…it seems you have extensive history…enough to convince people you’re trying to sell them to that they are what YOU claim…i don’t have a dog I this fight yet, and I really don’t give a shit about you…just pointing out the fact you’re disagreeing with the one person here that would know…
Like I had stated, I have not even put a price on them due to the fact that I don't know any information about them. I am not that kind of a person and no I'm not trying to convince anybody that they are not what they are, not at all like I said the opposite. I have no way to disagreeing at all, like I said I value everybody's opinions and input. I personally feel that if they weren't home crafted, that they were done very well, and that would put them at a greater value than even being made in a warehouse. Like I said I just want somebody to take pride in them because whoever made them obviously took pride in them. That is it that is all nothing more. Sorry if you feel different. Again no way trying to be rude, or trying to be right.

First of all, I went back and looked thru responses and failed to find any that were "All Huffy". Maybe I missed it but Richard Trotter is our resident expert on Pack Bikes. I have a Blazer and the top portion looks a lot like your bikes with the storage compartment and lid. As far as value, custom made doesn't translate to higher value . Your bikes will sell based on components and how well they are made but the vintage collector value is missing if they are home made. Go to the media section and look up Blazer to see what I am talking about. The lid is missing on mine.

Attachments

First of all, I went back and looked thru responses and failed to find any that were "All Huffy". Maybe I missed it but Richard Trotter is our resident expert on Pack Bikes. I have a Blazer and the top portion looks a lot like your bikes with the storage compartment and lid. As far as value, custom made doesn't translate to higher value . Your bikes will sell based on components and how well they are made but the vintage collector value is missing if they are home made. Go to the media section and look up Blazer to see what I am talking about. The lid is missing on mine.
Ok, sweet. Thank you for your input and time, I greatly appreciate it. I will definitely go check out what you told me to look at. I understand what you mean by the value part of it all, I just know that if someone created them on their own there was A LOT of TLC put into them, as they are made VERY well, and I would love to see someone put their own TOC into them as well.
Yes, Richard has had a lot of great info as well. He is VERY knowledgeable and I appreciate ALL that he has contributed to my little tote gote mystery. I feel like some folks have taken some of the things I have said as being sassy, but it's just that I am SUPER curious about these and I have gotten a bit excited at times in my post and I would like to apologize to ANYONE who may have taken offense to my excitement. I kind of get a bit wrapped up in things that I am interested in and get ahead of myself sometimes, it's that ADHD in me. I also am now understanding more that there may not be ONE right answer to my questions about these, so SORRY again to anyone that may have taken offense, I REALLY DO APPRECIATE ANY AND ALL INFO AND INPUT ❤️

I would sell them and state: four larger, heavy duty vintage "mini bikes". Be sure to include lots of good clear photos.
Ok, that sounds great. Do you know, am I able to post video in my threads here? As I would love to put a video up of them, so that everybody can get a better look at them? Thank you again for the input.