Stretched DB 30

Thanks to Mhornfeck, I have made a decision to stretch my new DB (5 inches) instead of ordering a new chassis. I think this will be a much better setup for a stronger engine. It will also reduce the likelyhood of unintended wheelies. Here are a few pics of the frame after I cut it.

Last edited:
I set the engine on the frame to get an idea for where I will have to mount the footpegs. I initially thought I could mount them as shown in the first post, but it is clear that the intake/carb will cause interference. It looks as if I will have to ount them in back of the carb. I also cut off the chain tensioner bracket, so that I could move it back a few inches.

Nice! I'll be following your work!

Let me know if it still tries to wheelie on you with a 5" extension.
I sure hope it doesn't. I was also thinking of installing a steering damper on the front end. I remember you mentioning that the front end was a bit unstable on yours at speed. How long are your footpegs and do they scrape on turns? I like the location of where yours are mounted, but need to know if I should mount mine higher to avoid scraping them?

Last edited:
when you elongate the bike, you lose a lot of steering ability at the sacrifice for a longer wheel base. you cant turn very sharply doing anything over 10 or 15mph. The pegs, where they are for me, will never touch the ground when I turn. You must take turning very slow though. Because of this, I am thinking of building another mini bike, putting my current engine on it, and building a performance gx390 for my drag bike.

(ot, but does anyone know if the clone 390 blocks are good for performance parts? should I just buy a honda block?)

The reason I say a steering damper is yes, it does lose a bit of stability under speed. If you push forward with your arms while youre riding, it removes some of the wobble, but you can only do so much. I would also bet you that these wheels aren't balanced properly to go this fast. I see a left to right wobble in the front wheel's tread.

I see that you said those pegs, where shown in the pic, will cause interference. You're going to get a bit of interference anywhere you mount the pegs because if youre going to be leaning forwards a bit, your legs will come down and back to the pegs and you'll hit that air filter with your knee. I predict you assembling a 45* manifold in the future. lol. This is what happened to me.

Looking pretty good...whats wrong with wheelies? How about a wheelie bar?:smile:

Robert
Wheelies are fun till you end up on your backside and your minibike is tore up, and wheelie bars are great for dragbikes but impractical for daily all around riding! A detachable one would be cool if the attachment points are strong, giving you the best of both worlds! It'll be interesting to see aDB streched! I ran dampners on my road race sportbikes, they are invaluble at high speeds and a good adjustable one is nice!

Nothing new to report yet, other than I did order new tubing for the frame. I hope to have it within the next few days. I read the post on your thread with the video, which talked about the chain snapping. I'm planning on buying an RLV Extreme chain. As far as I can tell they only sell it in 106 links. However, I wish they sold it in whatever lengths the customers wanted. How many links are in your chain with the 7" stretch?

I need ideas fast guys! I spoke to my machine and chassis guy today and tentatively scheduled an appointment with him for next Monday to have the frame work done. Does anyone have any ideas on how or where I should mount my oil catch tank? I was thinking of welding a tab to the left rear vertical frame rail and using the supplied hose clamps to hold it in place. The only hangup is, the hose from the valve cover to the oil catch tank will be a bit lengthy. BTW, I am also open to any other suggestions for frame modifications that would add a nice touch.

See the link below for a pic of the oil catch tank.

Frame Mount Catch Tank For Racing Go Karts or Bar Stool

I'd weld a mount underneath the carb and valve area to hold the carb still from below, and to hold the catch can next to the carb. When I install a can on mine, thats what I'll be doing. Mind you though, I have a 45 degree manifold for my carb. You will just need the can mount unless you are planning on going with an angled manifold.

I am open to color suggestions, as the next stop will be the powder coating shop. I am considering the following colors for the frame: gloss black, matt black, or metalic silver. I also need suggestions on what colors to coat the blower shroud and gas tank.

Last edited: