Super Bronc Project

Its time for me to finally post a project log on my super bronc VT-10 project. I bought a bronc about a year ago and am rebuilding it. I am in the "parts accumulation phase". It is taking quite a while because $$$ is not always available.

I want to have a street legal bronc just for riding around town at low speeds (say @ 30 mph). So I am having a frame made from a local custom motorcycle store which has a manufacturers statement of origin. The frame will have a vin number.

It will have a new 10hp Tecumseh which I should be able to pick up in January of 11. I will have the frame and parts powder coated at a local shop. I believe I will have the fenders powder coated also, probably silver in color along with the rims.

I was able to locate and purchase a set of 22x11x8 knobbies which are radial tires and NOT stamped with "not for highway service". They are Cheng Shin tires, and at this time, I have no idea about the durability.

The original bronc came with a 60 tooth sprocket. The literature states that the bronc would do somewhere around 40 mph with the 60 tooth sprocket. I decided to purchase a 40 tooth sprocket. I opted for this because if I am doing 35 mph, I did not want the engine to be running near max rpm all the time. I figured with a 40 tooth sprocket I could still travel around 35 mph (or so) and run at a much lower rpm. See photo with the 40 tooth sprocket.

The speedo hub is new and it is from a Honda scooter. The scooter has roughly the same diameter tire as the bronc so it should work with the speedo I purchased used. The hub had only a 1/2 inch axle hole and I drilled it out to 5/8 inch to fit the bronc axle. That was very difficult to do.

At this time, I have a 4" brake for the front. I am going to replace that with a 5" brake though, for better stopping power.

I have also got a bronc gas tank, which I may not use but may have a larger one made with greater fuel capacity. I also have turn signals and a brake/stop lamp (from a honda 450). I believe I will go with LED lights in all the lights (except the headlamp) because of the low power draw. I have the handle bar controls too, which I think are from a yamaha. As I think of more stuff, I will list that too. I also ordered a new seat from kbs8ball here on OldMiniBikes. I will post a pic of that as soon as I get it.

Here are a few more photos of the parts I have accumulated. The fenders, like all used bronc fenders, have to be sandblasted and re-chromed or powdercoated. I will probably have them powdercoated silver instead of the chrome. More than likely, I will have the frame powdercoated in some shade of blue. I also have the foot peg covers and a aftermarket kickstand which was made up by a bronc owner in Ohio. So, I am moving along and will make more posts as progress is made.

pilot
I have several Bronc's and they are very hard to control at speed's over 15-20mph on the road! I think it's because of the massive tires.
I have a title for one of my Bronc's and it too is street legal, but not practical or safe on the highway. It has factory turnsignals,mirrors, brake lights, horn and factory speedometer along with racks.
Not sure what your intention is, but I think they were made mostly for farmers,vacation homes in mountains or beech where traffic is at a minimum if any at all.
good luck!

Wow what a long, drawn out project...but I am hanging in there. Either you have no time or no money. I am pretty pumped up now because I just took delivery of my brand new 10 HP Tecumseh model number LH358XA-159538. Ok so I dropped $450 but she's a beauty! I am starting to mock up the stuff first to make sure everything fits before the frame goes out for powder coating.

Question: You fellas with 10 hp tec's and 12 volt electric start...do you have a starter solenoid installed? Ron a Powertec says you really don't need one. Yet I have some electrical diagrams for this engine that show using one. If you do not use a solenoid, what gauge wire have you got running from the starter button to the starter? Thanks. Solenoids are cheap and I really don't want to use a big 6 gauge stranded wire running down from the starter button.

Thanks guys. I'll post some more photos as progress is made.

toomanytoys

I bought that same motor but in a 8HP model for my Super Bronc.

The guy above said 15-20mph is hard to control on the road? I geared mine up screwing around and was able to cruise down the road at 52mph. I put the old gearing back in since I just wanted to see if it could pull that tall of a gear, which it did. I can hit 43 with the normal gearing I run.

Some of the control problems come from using the big knobbies, particularly on blacktop. They can get really squirrelly. My Honda Quad ('86 250) is great on dirt and gravel but all over the road at higher speed on pavement.

delray

bikes are not made at all for top end speed. made more for lowend and off road use only and they will do that all day:thumbsup:.................:scooter:

hi i live in milwaukee too and just bought a super bronc and was wondering where you take your parts for coating and how much do they charge?we are on the franklin boarder.thanks for your time and any info you can provide.

I am currently working on my Super Bronc VT-10. First minibike and have no mechanical experience so am still in the learning process. Just picked up an original headlight off of eBay. I think it was from someone on this fourm. Thought about doing what you are doing pilotchris but had no idea where to start...