Suzuki RV90 wanted. 1974 or newer, money/trades/?

MikeBear

Anybody in Michigan, got a running Suzuki RV90 1974 or newer they don't want anymore? It must have the title, and be capable of being registered again.

I'm really wanting to get one. It appears they are only like 2 inches larger each way than my Ken-Bar MB6 minibike, BUT, they have full suspension, (the Ken-Bar doesn't) and I like that idea! I probably won't be able to ride it just yet, since it's only 3 months since my back surgery, but I like planning ahead...

Maybe some money, maybe some trades, maybe both? Depends on the condition of the Rv90, and how much work and money if any is needed for restoration. Here's some things I have for your possible interest. Click the flickr link.

I also have a gold-ish / tan-brown colored minibike engine with clutch and band-brake around the clutch. It's a "Wards POWR-KRAFT 5HP 4 Cycle by Briggs & Stratton". Looks to be in nearly perfect condition, but faded color looking from being old. It's missing the carb and linkages to the governor, which I never noticed before. I suspect my son stole the carb, and it's laying around somewhere, but I don't know for sure. Turns over nicely by pull starter, so not locked up. I don't have pics of that at the moment. I can get them if needed... Came off an old frame my kid got years ago, when I wasn't interested in mini bikes at the time. I have no idea what the bike was. He sold the frame at a garage sale years ago.

P.S. The Ken-Bar minibike is NOT on the table for trade at this time.

Also, I work alternating nights 6pm to 6am at present, and sleep days until 2:30pm, so expect any answers after I wake up.

Flickr: Mike_Bear's Photostream

Last edited:

markus

May or may not help but I got some RV90 stuff from this guy a couple of years ago, he may have some leads for you in MI, hes in Muskegon. He was good to deal with via the internet at least.

Recycle-Cycle

Good luck in your search, they are fun bikes, I had a matching pair of '72's. Very strong on the low end and easy to ride and maneuver at slow speeds for a 2 stroke, Bikebandit also has parts breakdowns and lists/sell whatever is still available through suzuki for them, I bought alot of stuff from them when I was putting the bikes together.

MikeBear

Well, I frakkin' screwed up. :anon.sml: :censure:

I found a good 1975 RV90 on Craigslist a week ago. But it was 135 miles from me. I emailed the guy, and he took 3 days to respond, which put me passed the weekend I had off. By the time he responded, I didn't have any time off of work to go there, since I work alternating 6pm to 6am shift, and sleep days. So, I was going to go there on my next day off, and we got 8" of snow and sleet that night! I had to drive 21 miles home that morning, and apparently they don't plow much around here anymore. That was a white knuckle express all the way.

So, it got put off again. I was finally going to go there Friday (yesterday), and I couldn't get the stupid lights on my trailer to work, and it would have been dark by the time I made it home. I finally got them working this afternoon, bad wire. So, I call him tonight from work to go Monday, and he sold it this morning... rats.. that was the nicest one I could find for the price. He had the title, and it was in real good shape...

Oh well, I'm sure there must be another one out there for me, maybe in better shape..

By the way, my Fox Sundowner I have is available for a trade towards this. I have a recoil starter rebuilt and installed on it also. You can see it by going into my photo album. I also have a newer chrome Fox gas tank (with the original decals!), and front and rear fenders for installation for it. Between the original price, recoil starter price, and other stuff, I have too much money invested in it now.

Last edited:

MikeBear

Nobody has an RV90 they want to sell or trade?

I did find a messed-up 1972 model, that's fairly stripped. No engine, parts missing, cables pulled out, missing rear axle and sprocket, bad seat etc. I had to give $100 for that. I might be able to get it to "roller" status, and then transplant a Ebay engine into it. I'm finding that the people on Ebay that are selling RV90 parts, think they are made out of gold or something. They are charging CRAZY prices for even just a bolt or something small. I don't think they are selling much, but they don't seem to drop their prices. I'm talking used and possibly worn out parts! I estimate to get this one restored, and to put a Tbolt 140cc Piranha engine kit into it, is going to run me probably $800-$900 or so. Plus a lot of work time.

If I could find something complete except for engine and seat (I just got a good seat for $25!), for around $250-$300, I'd be better off then with what I have now. Or, a good complete running one, and worry about an engine transplant in the possible future.

For trade to add to the list above of available stuff to pick and choose from, I also have a barely used Vermont Castings "Defiant" non-catalytic cast iron wood stove. All it needs is a new door gasket, which need to be replaced every year anyway. I just can't use it, due to an asthma condition I have developed. We originally bought it to use in a cabin up north, and never installed it.

Vermont Castings - Defiant Catalytic and Non-Catalytic Cast Iron Wood Stove

The value of that stove is easily worth a minimum of $1,400 or more. New ones are more than twice that cost.

Anyway, still looking, if somebody has one... Or if you have some parts, they are ones I need, and you aren't married and in love with them, or thinking you can retire on selling them, let me know. Perhaps we can work out a deal... :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Are you still looking for a Suzuki, Mike? I've got (2) 1974's here in Nashville. We're heading back home (SW MI) in a few weeks and I could bring them. Got an ad up on craigslist "Suzuki Trail Bikes". They were a ton more fun in the country than the city :).

MikeBear

Are you still looking for a Suzuki, Mike? I've got (2) 1974's here in Nashville. We're heading back home (SW MI) in a few weeks and I could bring them. Got an ad up on craigslist "Suzuki Trail Bikes". They were a ton more fun in the country than the city :).
YES! Also, welcome to the forum!

I am still looking for preferably a 1974 or newer model RV90. Either complete and running, or an as complete as possible except for engine "roller". In the case of the roller, I plan on transplanting a Honda style replacement engine into it. I was hoping to trade for it straight across if at all possible. What I have available to trade, is listed in my other postings in this thread. If only cash will do, I'd like to keep it around $550 + or - a little or so if possible for a running bike. Otherwise the divorce will cost me a whole lot more....

My wife already thinks I'm off my nut... "why would a 52 year old man with back problems want to ride around on a mini bike, or small motorcycle?"

Women, they just don't get it, do they? :scooter:

In case of cash only, a cheaper roller would be even better, because I can sneak up on the cost to complete it a little at a time, and the wife won't pay as much attention then. :laugh:

Let me know what you are thinking, you can send me a PM. I'm on the pc a lot. I'm located just West of Midland. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hey, Thanks Mike. This site is a find! I might have second thoughts about selling! I just never really thought of these bikes as "Scooters". Is it time to re-brand myself as a scooter owner? I ran into a guy the other day who told me Nashville has a scooter gang. If there's biker bars, why not scooter bars? Everything could be smaller- 9 ounce beers!

I'll get back to you before our trip to the north to talk a little more about the bike AND to make sure all the snow is gone :).

MikeBear

Hey, Thanks Mike. This site is a find! I might have second thoughts about selling! I just never really thought of these bikes as "Scooters". Is it time to re-brand myself as a scooter owner? I ran into a guy the other day who told me Nashville has a scooter gang. If there's biker bars, why not scooter bars? Everything could be smaller- 9 ounce beers!

I'll get back to you before our trip to the north to talk a little more about the bike AND to make sure all the snow is gone :).
Thanks!

MikeBear

I got one!

Well, it's a done deal. I picked up a 1974 Suzuki Rv90 today. I got home just before 8pm. It's complete, and needs a little work, but nothing too bad. Carb cleaning, maybe points cleaned/replaced, some rust removal, little repainting, new battery and such, and it should be good to go. It also has the original tool kit!

I'll have to get some pics of it to post, maybe tomorrow if I have time. Here's an original picture from the seller:

Here's my pics, I got a good deal on this bike. I only had to drive 112 miles one-way with some rain sprinkles here and there, then back 112 miles through a Biblical rain-storm!

Last edited:
Mike if you are still looking I might be able to help. I'm living in south east michigan, have 2 running bikes and acouple sets of parts to make a complete bike. PM me if your interested.

Anybody in Michigan, got a running Suzuki RV90 1974 or newer they don't want anymore? It must have the title, and be capable of being registered again.

I'm really wanting to get one. It appears they are only like 2 inches larger each way than my Ken-Bar MB6 minibike, BUT, they have full suspension, (the Ken-Bar doesn't) and I like that idea! I probably won't be able to ride it just yet, since it's only 3 months since my back surgery, but I like planning ahead...

Maybe some money, maybe some trades, maybe both? Depends on the condition of the Rv90, and how much work and money if any is needed for restoration. Here's some things I have for your possible interest. Click the flickr link.

I also have a gold-ish / tan-brown colored minibike engine with clutch and band-brake around the clutch. It's a "Wards POWR-KRAFT 5HP 4 Cycle by Briggs & Stratton". Looks to be in nearly perfect condition, but faded color looking from being old. It's missing the carb and linkages to the governor, which I never noticed before. I suspect my son stole the carb, and it's laying around somewhere, but I don't know for sure. Turns over nicely by pull starter, so not locked up. I don't have pics of that at the moment. I can get them if needed... Came off an old frame my kid got years ago, when I wasn't interested in mini bikes at the time. I have no idea what the bike was. He sold the frame at a garage sale years ago.

P.S. The Ken-Bar minibike is NOT on the table for trade at this time.

Also, I work alternating nights 6pm to 6am at present, and sleep days until 2:30pm, so expect any answers after I wake up.

Flickr: Mike_Bear's Photostream